Friend Big Dog

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog:

CYA friends, Big Dog brought me some killer gumbo a couple days ago, along with three lots of his Lapua for me to shoot.

Here's a picture....

DSC01521.jpg

Now the story............

I had shot these lots before......and came to this conclusion:

Lot 206 was killer, followed closely by lot 112........lot 104 just kinda wallered....

Now.........................

I've since fit a new barrel to Jimmy Jack, the same contraption I first tested these lots with, although with a different barrel.

With the new barrel I've tested these three lots twice now...

The 112 was the killer, both times, with the 206 close behind.......the 104 still kinda wallered...

So I decided to do some measuring.....

I took an old slave barrel and checked the engraving length with some 6034's, my old standard..

And the engraving length in this slave, with the 6034's, is .145" of leade engraving...

Then I checked the three lots of Lapua that Big Dog left me to shoot.

Lot 206 averaged .144".....

Lot 112 averaged .142"....

Are you CYA folks sitting down?

Lot 104 measured, using three bullets, .163", .157" and .155" length of leade engraving...

No wonder the 104 just wallered.....this is way too much engraving length....

Big Dog, the 112 is the man.................followed closely by the 206...

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

PS:

CYA friends, if a serious RFBR shooter had a case of 112's, or 206's, along with the new Muller 90 Driver I just installed on Jimmy Jack, if they could point it they could rule the world....

DSC01227 - Copy (4) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Now for some Eley

Now for some Eley

CYA gun fool friends:

I also tested some Eley after I tested Big Dog's Lapua....

When Robert Oates was at Jeff Patterson's shop a while back he left some old, Eley black odds n ends test lots for Jeff to give to me.........which J-PAT did...

In the box were two unopened bricks of Eley black from 2015, both 5 machine...

So I took a box of each with me when I tested Big Dog's Lapua.....just out of curiosity....

After I tested the Lapua I got those two boxes of Eley black....

I started shooting one of the two and it just kinda wallered....

I started not to shoot the other lot......but then thought; I'm here, so do it......

CYA gun fool friend, am I ever glad I shot that other lot....

Here's the lot number.....

DSC01523.jpg

Friend Robert Oates, if a serious shooter had a case of this lot of Eley black, and Jimmy Jack with its new Muller 90 Driver, and could point it, he/she could rule the world of RFBR...

This lot of Eley black, from 2015, shoots equally as well as Big Dog's 206 Lapua, and would even give his 112 a run for its money....

By the way, I checked the engraving length of this lot of Eley black and it goes .142".....and uniform round to round.

The lot of Eley black that wallered went .131"......

It blows my mind that two Eley blacks, both 5 machine from 2015, can have such a difference in their working lengths.

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

Man this Muller 90 Driver I fit is working.......

Dan had written on the blank that he believed it was one of his best lapping jobs.......he sure got that right...

I can't decide if I like mustard or sky blue graphics the best...

DSC01227 - Copy (5) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

DSC01227 - Copy (4) - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom