Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: About got it finished....

  1. #1

    About got it finished....

    About got it finished....


    CYA pistol fool friends:


    Name:  DSC00698 - Copy.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  99.9 KB


    I've been moving the barrel from my 40-X pistol to my Turbo pistol....


    To do so I had to remove the old chamber and re-chamber the 40-X barrel...


    The new chamber turned out perfect......lucky....

    _________________


    Yesterday I set the barrel up and threaded it for my MD-PAS pistol action....


    CYankee schmidts chamber first, then thread and fit.....this is a change from the way we fit barrels for years...


    But it works out so much better......we can control leade engraving so much better this way...


    Anyway...............



    I cut the chamber deep......to start with....


    Right now the leade engraving is .113".........


    My final tenon length, to arrive at .043" head space, will be 1.040"....


    Therefore, here's what I'm going to do today.....going to be 80 degrees....sunny...



    I want to arrive at .140" leade engraving.......( I'll tell you why in a minute)


    My first operation will be to move the barrel shoulder about .015" from where it's currently at...


    This will give me a tenon length of 1.067"



    I'll then face the breech face of the barrel back so the tenon length will be the 1.040" I need...


    This will leave my engraving length at .140".....



    I have .113" leade length now.........by moving the breech face of the barrel back .027" will leave my engraving length at .140".


    .113" plus .027" equaling the .140" I'm after...



    Why do I want .140" of leade engraving in this 4 groove Douglas barrel?



    The rifling of this Douglas displaces more lead than the rifling of the Muller 4-groove MI 90 Driver that I put on Jimmy Jack.

    I used .146" of leade engraving on Jimmy Jack....


    So I can't stand as much engraving of the leade with this Douglas...


    I'm cited.....cause this Douglas, which I taper lapped, and has the perfect taper and feel, is so similar to the Muller Modified 4-MI....

    And I believe the Muller Modified 4-MI will be the RFBR barrel of the future....



    CYA pistol fool friends:



    If the world don't end, I may be shooting my new MD-PAS pistol, with this Douglas, late this evening...



    This Douglas is so much a better barrel than the old Broughton I've had on my MD-PAS pistol, so far...


    It killed it with the SAP ignition of my 40-X pistol....


    I can't wait to see what it does on my MD-PAS ignition pistol......man!


    Your cited pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee



    ________________________


    Someway we have to have these for the masses...



    Name:  DSC00107 (2).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  108.9 KB

  2. #2

    Done....

    Done....


    CYA accuracy fool friends:


    No extractor slots yet...

    But....


    The Douglas 4 groove from my 40-X pistol is now on my new MD-PAS pistol...

    And I hit all my marks.......thank you LORD.....


    As soon as I rest up a spell, I'm headed to the range.....


    80 degrees......like summertime....


    Your tired pistol fool friend, BC

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calfee View Post
    Done....


    CYA accuracy fool friends:


    No extractor slots yet...

    But....


    The Douglas 4 groove from my 40-X pistol is now on my new MD-PAS pistol...

    And I hit all my marks.......thank you LORD.....


    As soon as I rest up a spell, I'm headed to the range.....


    80 degrees......like summertime....


    Your tired pistol fool friend, BC
    Howdy Bill,

    Get rested up and go have a good time shooting that pistol! Can't wait to read about it. I've been looking at pistols in a different light since you've been posting about them so much. They GOTTA be fun!

    Take care,

    Greg

  4. #4

    Friend Bang....the ole Hawk calls you Bang...

    Quote Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
    Howdy Bill,

    Get rested up and go have a good time shooting that pistol! Can't wait to read about it. I've been looking at pistols in a different light since you've been posting about them so much. They GOTTA be fun!

    Take care,

    Greg



    _________________________



    Friend Bang....(the ole Hawk calls you Bang)...


    Finishing fitting the barrel yesterday simply wore my 76 year old system out...


    My 15 year old mind was raring to head to the range.....


    But I simply couldn't.......


    So I fixed me a onion and mustard sammich and a bowl of oatmeal and hit the sack...


    I just got up awhile ago.....


    It's going to be 80 degrees again today, so I'm getting ready to head to the range...



    Bang, don't ever sit down behind one of these.....



    Name:  DSC00277 - Copy.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  120.4 KB


    Bang, the English word for one of these things is "pistol"..


    The Latin word for one is "thinniswalletius".......

  5. #5

    Friend Bang

    Friend Bang


    Friend Bang:


    I've still not gotten to shoot my MD-PAS pistol with the Douglas 4 groove...

    __________________


    It was windy all day yesterday, but about 4:00 it laid some, so I headed to the range...


    Big mistake..........


    As soon as I started to put up a target it started to rain......


    Actually, it started to pour.......about as much as I've ever seen....


    I was standing under the firing line, my old truck was parked up close to the roof where I always park it..


    And the water ran off the roof in sheets, on it........


    And then the lightening came.....


    I always count the seconds after I see a lightening bolt flash, this lets me know how close the strike is to me..


    The seconds kept getting shorter and shorter....


    Then all of a sudden a bolt hit the woods to my right, and lit up the whole range.....


    And the flash came at the exact same second as the sound.....


    I believe that's as close as I've ever been to a lightening strike.....


    It like to have burst my ear drums....


    And it's funny, the flash was not white, like you normally see in the distance....


    No, it was fire red.............and scary.....



    And I'm standing under a metal roof.............


    So..................


    I decided I'd be better off in my truck.........


    But then the hail hit...................


    I was scared it would damage my old truck.......


    I then thought.......what a fool, at my age, I was for being here.....



    It finally let up and stopped hailing, then I got in my truck and got away from that metal roof...



    I sat there a few minutes, then decided to try to get the five miles back home.....safely...


    I didn't even lock the chain at the club entrance........


    I'm getting ready to head back and lock it now.....



    Hopefully I'll get to test Sunday.....supposed to be in the 60's....



    Your lucky pistol fool friend, BC

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calfee View Post
    Friend Bang


    Friend Bang:


    I've still not gotten to shoot my MD-PAS pistol with the Douglas 4 groove...

    __________________


    It was windy all day yesterday, but about 4:00 it laid some, so I headed to the range...


    Big mistake..........


    As soon as I started to put up a target it started to rain......


    Actually, it started to pour.......about as much as I've ever seen....


    I was standing under the firing line, my old truck was parked up close to the roof where I always park it..


    And the water ran off the roof in sheets, on it........


    And then the lightening came.....


    I always count the seconds after I see a lightening bolt flash, this lets me know how close the strike is to me..


    The seconds kept getting shorter and shorter....


    Then all of a sudden a bolt hit the woods to my right, and lit up the whole range.....


    And the flash came at the exact same second as the sound.....


    I believe that's as close as I've ever been to a lightening strike.....


    It like to have burst my ear drums....


    And it's funny, the flash was not white, like you normally see in the distance....


    No, it was fire red.............and scary.....



    And I'm standing under a metal roof.............


    So..................


    I decided I'd be better off in my truck.........


    But then the hail hit...................


    I was scared it would damage my old truck.......


    I then thought.......what a fool, at my age, I was for being here.....



    It finally let up and stopped hailing, then I got in my truck and got away from that metal roof...



    I sat there a few minutes, then decided to try to get the five miles back home.....safely...


    I didn't even lock the chain at the club entrance........


    I'm getting ready to head back and lock it now.....



    Hopefully I'll get to test Sunday.....supposed to be in the 60's....



    Your lucky pistol fool friend, BC
    Howdy Bill,

    I might have had that same storm come through my way later last night. That lightning was STOUT. I'm not a fan of nearby lightning....

    You'll get there on shooting that pistol. I am getting more and more curious about these pistols, which could be a bad thing. Curiosity kills cats and Gregs!

    Take care,

    Greg

  7. #7

    Lightning

    Hi Bill

    Years ago I had a similar experience with a lightning strike.

    There was no thunder or rain or anything and 3 of us was standing out in the open just below the ridge of a hill, no trees close by.

    Then all of a sudden I saw the hair on the other 2 people stand on end, all of it sticking straight out from their head.

    This looks really funny when you see it, we all were laughing and pointing at each other. (the absolute opposite to what you should do, "don't stand and point with your finger")

    Then all of a sudden there was an almighty BANG, I was so happening to be looking in the direction of the ridge and a tin roofed building about 100' away by the ridge when I saw the flash.

    The lightning bolt hit the roof of the building and all our hair instantly dropped back not to mention the ringing in our ears.

    We were all in stunned silence as it was a very sobering moment.

    Someone was looking after us that day.

    So if you see the hair of the people around you (you can't feel your own hair do it) stand on end then "HIT THE DECK" and block your ears.

    Regards
    Graham

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •