Speaking in riddles

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Speaking in riddles

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I'm going to speak now in riddles..........

Why should one with a killer barrel never allow the barrel to become warm to the touch right in front of the action face, by shooting too many rounds too quickly?

Cause you take the chance of glazing the bore of your killer barrel...............

Why should one with a killer barrel never shoot BR-50 with today's ammo?

Cause BR-50 requires so many rounds be shot in such a short time, that you take the chance of glazing the bore of your killer barrel...............

CYA accuracy fool friends:

If you glaze the bore of your killer barrel, it won't shoot in a bucket thereafter....

Finally................

Why did I post this?

Cause I'm looking for answers...........

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Bill,

If people are worried about shooting 50 shots in 30 minutes, which if one takes the full amount of time is a shot every 36 seconds compared to a shot every 48 seconds for 25 shots in 30 minutes, there is an alternative. But the first thing needed to know is if there is any interest in in shooting the BR-50 style target. The alternative of course is BR-V which is the same format with 25 bulls instead of 50. Since the time is cut to 15 minutes the rate of fire is still the same but right now the majority of shooters will shoot 25 record shots in around 15 minutes. I of course do not include sighters here, but one would think that, even though the basic rate of fire is the same for 50 shots in 30 minutes, the 25 bull 15 minute format might result in less sighters and therefore fewer shots fired which should negate the heating effect. In any event, I really think it would be about what we have now in terms of shots fired over time.

That is if anybody is even interested in shooting the BR-50 style target. It's been long dormant but maybe not dead. You're still shooting a circle.

WS

Friend Gingersnap

Bill,

If people are worried about shooting 50 shots in 30 minutes, which if one takes the full amount of time is a shot every 36 seconds compared to a shot every 48 seconds for 25 shots in 30 minutes, there is an alternative. But the first thing needed to know is if there is any interest in in shooting the BR-50 style target. The alternative of course is BR-V which is the same format with 25 bulls instead of 50. Since the time is cut to 15 minutes the rate of fire is still the same but right now the majority of shooters will shoot 25 record shots in around 15 minutes. I of course do not include sighters here, but one would think that, even though the basic rate of fire is the same for 50 shots in 30 minutes, the 25 bull 15 minute format might result in less sighters and therefore fewer shots fired which should negate the heating effect. In any event, I really think it would be about what we have now in terms of shots fired over time.

That is if anybody is even interested in shooting the BR-50 style target. It's been long dormant but maybe not dead. You're still shooting a circle.

WS

Friend Gingersnap;

Yes, the BR-V target would be a good option to use with the ammo we have today...

If.........

It is shot exactly like it was originally, 15 minuets and a foul line....

And no additional sighter bulls........

And no, it wouldn't be like shooting an ARA target in 15 minutes....

Because the bull layout is configured so as to require a bunch of vertical changes......

Gingersnap, this glazing issue is a major problem.....

Jeff Patterson has already discovered several bores that have stopped shooting because of being glazed.....no damage or excessive wear otherwise...

The glazing issue is more pronounced the more MI the rifling pattern, and how new the bore is.

A well seasoned bore will not glaze as quickly as a brand new bore....

And when you glaze a new MI bore, the accuracy really falls off....

I had to de-glace the ratchet on Black Death back in 2015..........and it's still killing it today.

Summary:

The ammo we use today plus the use of a lot of trick, MI barrels, magnifies the chance of glazing a bore......

If................

Too many rounds are shot so quickly that the viscosity of the wax/grease thins out....

Then the bore will begin to glaze....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Friend Gingersnap

Friend Gingersnap

Friend Gingersnap:

This glazing issue can happen to any bore, no matter how new or which rifling pattern...

But...............

New, unseasoned bores, and especially very MI rifling patterns, are much more at risk.

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom