How Jimmy Jack's Muller, 4-groove 90 Driver's bore became glazed.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
How Jimmy Jack's Muller, 4-groove 90 Driver's bore became glazed.

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I'm telling this story with the consent of Bruce Doster and Noah Johns.

Actually, they're probably saddened by this event more than anyone because they had high hopes of having a second killer RFBR rifle to keep from wearing Paladin out from being doubled up on....

At Jimmy Jack's first match, the Arkansas IR-50 Meters Unlimited Regional, Bruce shooting JJ won two of the three targets and kicked out the only 250 of the event.....

Then the Jewel trigger went south, and Bruce had to shoot the Arkansas State Meters doubling up on Paladin with Noah..

By the way which Noah won, producing the only 250 of that Meters event.

So Bruce and Noah had high hopes for their needed second killer rifle.

The next match was in Georgia which started with shooting a BR-50 match.

Everyone was cited about getting to try BR-50, including Noah and Bruce......

But................

CYA accuracy fool friends, I had great apprehensions about that brand new Muller 4-Groove 90 Driver having to be fired so many rounds in such a short time, because I knew there was a great possibility of that new, extremely high MI factor bore becoming glazed.

I talked to Bruce and Noah as they were traveling to the match; they were passing though Memphis at that moment.

And yes, they were cited about all the matches being held, but especially the BR-50 contest.

CYA friends, I wanted to ask Bruce not to shoot Jimmy Jack in the BR-50 matches, but I just couldn't, cause they were so cited.....

But I did advise Bruce this, which he will attest to:

I advised him to get in and get out of the BR-50 matches with as few rounds as absolutely necessary.

He agreed.......

But even trying to limiting the number of rounds, shooting a BR-50 card will require probably 65 to 75 rounds in 30 minutes.

Jimmy Jack went south basically when the BR-50 matches were in progress....

There's no doubt in my mind that JJ's very high MI factored 90 Driver's bore began to glaze during those BR-50 matches.

Now, something very interesting was volunteered by Bruce.........

He said he placed his finger on top of the barrel, right in front of the action face, and at the end of the BR-50 targets the barrel was "hot"........yes, he used the word hot, not warm....

By contrast Noah did the same to Paladin and the barrel was not hot.......not even very warm.

The barrel on Paladin is well seasoned and not nearly as high in MI factor...

Finally:

No one's at fault here............

It's just one of those unfortunate things that happens at times.....

I will say this......

Bore glazing is a serious issue.......especially for new barrels, regardless of their MI factor.....

All maybe isn't lost for Jimmy Jack, though.

At some point I'm going to cast a lap and remove the glaze in JJ's barrel....

Then we'll see if Jimmy Jack still has a future as a killer RFBR contraption.

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

CYA friends, if you don't mind please allow this story to stand alone...

If you have questions please post them on the thread started by Hawkeye Wizard titled GLAZING on the Rimfire Benchrest Forum......thank you.

I'm cited

I'm cited

CYA Jimmy Jack fool friends:

I'm cited.....

When I got JJ back from Bruce and Noah, and checked the bore, it is absolutely 100% as new pristine...

Whatever method they used to clean it works......

Absolutely no damage of any kind....

Here's where I'm at:

I've got a 15 year old cited mind, encased in a 76 your old worn out body....

The next four days are going to be pretty.......upper 60's.....

I'm going to do my best to get out in the shop and cast a lap, and de-glaze JJ's bore.....

CYA Jimmy Jack fool friends............

Jimmy Jack is one of the absolute most killer RFBR guns I've ever produced....

But circumstances, which were no ones fault, derailed his potential success...

Now..................

My next goal is to force myself to get to the shop and de-glaze JJ's bore.........

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

They're ain't no RFBR gun capable of producing runs like this, that won't win Big National Events....

DSC01536.jpg

Back
Top Bottom