Carbon steel rimfire barrels

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Az_Speed along with Hawkeye Wizard wanted to know about carbon steel barrels for big time RFBR work.

Hawkeye was an engineer at Rock Island for years, so knows the mechanics of carbon steel barrel material...

Anyway.................

I do not believe a carbon steel barrel will glaze like will a stainless steel barrel...

Can I prove that?

No....................

CYA friends, I've worked with a lot of carbon steel barrels over the years.....

Mostly 4140 for RFBR work....

This is my opinion, OK.

The plus side of carbon steel like 4140: Extremely long barrel life.

The negative side of carbon steel like 4140: Everything else involved in trying to produce accuracy capable of winning Big National RFBR Events.

If Dan Muller started producing carbon steel RFBR barrels today, and I were still a practicing RFBR schmidt, I would not use them.

If one could chamber, finish and crown a carbon steel barrel made of 4140, like one can with stainless, the barrel would probably last your lifetime, if you didn't let it rust up or ruin the bore with your cleaning process...

Plus.................

I don't believe it would glaze, no matter how fast or how many rounds you fired.....( my opinion)

But.....................

If I had ten 4140 blanks in front of me, and I did my best work on each of the ten, and if I were lucky, I might chamber and finish one of those ten as well as I can chamber and finish a stainless blank every single time I try.

So no, in my opinion, carbon steel, of any kind, has no place in RFBR.....

Way to many obstacles to overcome in trying to produce one to the same degree of perfection as one can stainless.

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee