Back to square one....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Back to square one....

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I'm back to square one with Jimmy Jack.....

I'm an old man.....

I've spent the last two days taking baby steps in the shop, weather warm, trying to make sure I didn't goof up de-glazing the barrel on Jimmy Jack....

I checked, then double checked everything.......then checked it again...

When Bruce Doster and Noah Johns returned Jimmy Jack to me, the bore was 100% pristine, save for the first 9-10 inches at the breech being glazed....

They harmed this fine barrel in no way with their cleaning process...

I'm wore completely out...........after these two days.........

Here's a picture of the lap.......

DSC01577 - Copy.jpg

After I rest tonight, I'll explain in great detail how I went about de-glazing Jimmy Jack's bore...

A heads up:

It turned out absolutely perfect.......not close, but perfect......thank you Almighty.

Now I can't wait to shoot him again....

More after I rest .............

Your worn out pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Can't wait to shoot it.....

Can't wait to shoot it....

I got some rest and feel better....

When one does a post chamber lap, or de-glazing of a bore, it must be done in a jig, and quick as possible.

By quick as possible I mean with as few strokes as possible...

If one laps too much, both ends of the bore will become restricted....

You want this at the muzzle end, but it kills accuracy at the breech end if you restrict it.

A properly used lap leaves both ends of the bore restricted.....since the lap does not pass full length at both ends of the bore.....it has to say in the bore, of course.

Therefore............

I cast a full lap........as you can see in the picture...

I then charged the lap with 180 grit and oil........yes 180....

I want to remove the glaze with as few strokes as possible.....and fine grit does nothing....

It took four charges of 180 before the lap started cutting properly.....

I always wiped the muzzle clean of grit between charges...

Then..................

I extended the lap 2 1/2 inches out of the muzzle and charged it with 240 grit, right on top of the 180....

I concentrated on the breech end 10 inches, where the glaze had formed...

Every fourth stroke I moved the lap out to about the 18-20 inch mark, then a couple of strokes, varying the length slightly.....

Then a full stroke to the muzzle allowing the lap to pass at least half way out....

I stayed completely away from the muzzle save for charging the lap and feathering every 8 to 10 strokes...

I worked at this for about 5 minutes, then shut it down once I could tell the lap starting to quit cutting....

I then removed the lap and thoroughly cleaned the bore....

I then slugged the bore and the glaze was completely gone......

Absolutely no mild sandpaper feel........

I then installed the barrel and fired four rounds in my bucket, then pushed a slug through the bore....

The bore is now absolutely back to brand new pristine......absolutely no glaze....

The SK HP slugs, with the black oxide finish, now retain a great deal of the black oxide color....

When the bore was glazed the slugs came out looking chrome plated, 100% of the black oxide being removed by the glaze...

And how do the slugs measure now?

My micrometer measures ever so slightly over a tenth fat....

Even though this is a four groove barrel, I measure it like an 8 groove.....which gives me four diagonals instead of just two.

I catch it at .2220" exactly, the vernier on the mike comes up exactly the same number on all four diagonals.....

So the groove diameter of this fine Muller is a fat .2218"........and absolutely perfectly round.

I'm tickled.....

Now..................

It's been raining a bunch and turning colder.......

So the range will have standing water on it.......

But man I'm anxious to shoot Jimmy Jack again.......

I'll play it by ear.....

Your cited pistol fool friend, BC

DSC01577 - Copy.jpg

One operation left to do.....

Can't wait to shoot it....

I got some rest and feel better....

When one does a post chamber lap, or de-glazing of a bore, it must be done in a jig, and quick as possible.

By quick as possible I mean with as few strokes as possible...

If one laps too much, both ends of the bore will become restricted....

You want this at the muzzle end, but it kills accuracy at the breech end if you restrict it.

A properly used lap leaves both ends of the bore restricted.....since the lap does not pass full length at both ends of the bore.....it has to say in the bore, of course.

Therefore............

I cast a full lap........as you can see in the picture...

I then charged the lap with 180 grit and oil........yes 180....

I want to remove the glaze with as few strokes as possible.....and fine grit does nothing....

It took four charges of 180 before the lap started cutting properly.....

I always wiped the muzzle clean of grit between charges...

Then..................

I extended the lap 2 1/2 inches out of the muzzle and charged it with 240 grit, right on top of the 180....

I concentrated on the breech end 10 inches, where the glaze had formed...

Every fourth stroke I moved the lap out to about the 18-20 inch mark, then a couple of strokes, varying the length slightly.....

Then a full stroke to the muzzle allowing the lap to pass at least half way out....

I stayed completely away from the muzzle save for charging the lap and feathering every 8 to 10 strokes...

I worked at this for about 5 minutes, then shut it down once I could tell the lap starting to quit cutting....

I then removed the lap and thoroughly cleaned the bore....

I then slugged the bore and the glaze was completely gone......

Absolutely no mild sandpaper feel........

I then installed the barrel and fired four rounds in my bucket, then pushed a slug through the bore....

The bore is now absolutely back to brand new pristine......absolutely no glaze....

The SK HP slugs, with the black oxide finish, now retain a great deal of the black oxide color....

When the bore was glazed the slugs came out looking chrome plated, 100% of the black oxide being removed by the glaze...

And how do the slugs measure now?

My micrometer measures ever so slightly over a tenth fat....

Even though this is a four groove barrel, I measure it like an 8 groove.....which gives me four diagonals instead of just two.

I catch it at .2220" exactly, the vernier on the mike comes up exactly the same number on all four diagonals.....

So the groove diameter of this fine Muller is a fat .2218"........and absolutely perfectly round.

I'm tickled.....

Now..................

It's been raining a bunch and turning colder.......

So the range will have standing water on it.......

But man I'm anxious to shoot Jimmy Jack again.......

I'll play it by ear.....

Your cited pistol fool friend, BC

View attachment 2712

One operation left to do.....

I have one operation left to do....

I need to lightly re-polish the chamber......

When we lap a chambered barrel the lap will drag grit into the leade area of the chamber....

Most of the grit is removed when a brush is pulled through the chamber......but not all...

I do not have to do this operation....

But.......................

If I don't it will take Mother Nature several hundred rounds to remove it.........

And I can't wait.........

Cause I want to see what I have at the first opportunity I have to test, which is going to be limited now because of the cold weather and wet range.....

So I'm removing the barrel and lightly re-polishing the chamber....

Then hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it soon.......

Or I won't be able to sleep.....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

By the way........

When I lap a blank I use laps that are longer than 3 inches.....

So why just three inches this time?

I used a shorter lap because I pull the lap as far out of the chamber as possible on the rearward stroke, to hold down the possibility of restricting the bore right in front of the chamber.....

And if one does do this, the barrel will not shoot.....

On a new blank the breech end can be cut off after lapping to remove the restriction caused by the lapping...

DSC01577 - Copy.jpg

Back to square one, for sure now.

Back to square one, for sure now.

I set the barrel up and lightly re-polished the chamber/leade.....

I didn't have to do this, but, the barrel will start off shooting now without Mother Nature having to do Her thing, as much.

Now....................

Doing a post chamber lap, or a de-glazing, can cause a restriction right in front of the chamber if one isn't extremely careful.......

So how does one check this?

If it's bad enough you'll feel it simply by slugging the bore in the normal way...

But that isn't good enough....

I pushed a slug into the bore about three inches, which would be well past any restriction....

I then bumped the slug up fairly hard....

I then inserted the slugging rod into the muzzle and pushed the slug back to, and through, the chamber...

The slug had the perfect gradual release........

Absolutely no restriction......thank you Almighty.

If there had been any restriction at all I would have felt it......

I've now got the bore of this fine Muller back exactly like it was when it kicked out this amazing run of rounds.

DSC01536.jpg

The question now is:

Will it do it again?

The next big issue is how I'm going to get to test Jimmy Jack....

The weather is cold and I know the range is water logged.......

And Monday we might have snow.......and really cold temps....

And I'm chomping at the bit...............

When I do get to test, if Jimmy Jack is back to new again, he will be capable of winning Big National Events if fed and pointed correctly.

If he doesn't perform like he originally did, I'll remove the barrel and start all over....

But doggone it I've got to figure out how to test, first.

Your cited, although a little flustered friend, BC

If it's not one thing it's another....

If it's not one thing it's another....

CYA Jimmy Jack wanting to test fool friends:

Man, if it isn't one thing it's another....

I have one of those cheap cell phones where I buy the time........

I have it for only one reason, that being I'm too old and crippled up that I can't afford to travel away from home, knowing if I got into trouble, or had to change a flat tire, that I could take care of it myself like I've done all my life up until the past few years.....

So I've got this cheap pay as you go cell phone.....

But.............

My time expired yesterday and I'm having a heck of a time buying more airtime...

Plus..........

Last month I signed up for automatic renewal of airtime........so I wouldn't have to put up with the hassle of buying it every three months, or worrying about it running out if I was on the road and got into trouble...

And on top of that my old F-150 is almost 21 years old......and although it still runs like a Singer Sewing Machine, it's still 21 years old and all original, and some of those old parts are going to break one day.......

Unless I can figure out how to get my airtime renewed I can not take the chance of going anywhere....

I know this is a minor problem compared to what a bunch of folks are going through.....

But doggone it I'm killer hankering to shoot Jimmy Jack again.......

I feel good about how the de-glazing went.......which don't mean nothing......JJ may still not shoot in a bucket...

But I won't know if I don't go to the range......

And starting Monday it's going to be winter, for sure.....

I know I'm moaning, but, I really do consider myself to be the luckiest person in the world....

A wise man counts his blessings, of which I have so many, instead of dwelling on the minor hiccups in life...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

Man I hope JJ will duplicate this.....

DSC01536.jpg

It's today or else....

It's today or else....

I'm sitting here trying to get airtime on my cheap cell phone....

"Well Calfee, you get what you pay for................."

I don't need a cell phone except for emergency when I'm on the road......

Anyway................

It's supposed to be in the 50's today.......then winter sets in....

So I've got to figure out how to get my phone working, so I can try to test today.....

Or it will be a while before I get another chance...........maybe a long while...

Your non-technical when it comes to dealing with Internet ordering fool, BC

PS:

I want so bad to see this kind of accuracy again from Jimmy Jack...

DSC01536.jpg

By the way.......

I used Big Dog's good Lapua to kick out these bulls......

And I don't have any more of it....

So if I can duplicate these bulls with what I've got, I'll most certainly be...." back in the saddle again....."

If I can't come close, this barrel is going in my slave barrel bin........and I'll start all over...bc

The good and the bad......

First the good:

I finally got time put on my cheap cell phone......

Now the bad:

It's dark..............

Your hankering to test Jimmy Jack fool friend, BC

PS:

The road department just went past putting down a road solution in anticipation of possible snow tomorrow..

Jimmy Jack will have to wait......

Jimmy Jack

G'day Mr Cafee, spare a thought for us people on the other side of the world where we never get snow although the states below us New South Wales ,Victoria and Tasmania do. Temp here today is 91.4 f (33 celsius).It's just as well we do have air conditioning:)Scott:cool:

Friend RSF

G'day Mr Cafee, spare a thought for us people on the other side of the world where we never get snow although the states below us New South Wales ,Victoria and Tasmania do. Temp here today is 91.4 f (33 celsius).It's just as well we do have air conditioning:)Scott:cool:

Friend RSF:

I actually like the change of seasons where I live here in Southern Indiana...

I guess my favorite is Springtime.....the world is waking up from Winter anew.

It is what it is............

I'll get to test Jimmy Jack at some point......

Your wishing it weren't Wintertime just yet fool, BC

Back
Top Bottom