Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is this pistol?

The mystery pistol...

The mystery pistol...

Friend Big Dog:

#7 has all the indications of being the mystery pistol.....if it's not, it's an exact copy...

Michael, here's a way to prove whether #7 is the mystery pistol or not:

First of all, we have to assume the date I took this picture is incorrect......although I've checked two sources, properties, and one says 10-21-04 and the other says 10-22-04....

Name:  DSC00975.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  125.9 KB

The pistol in this picture is not blued...

If the pistol in the picture on my book cover was blued after the picture was taken, the cut out I machined for the locking lugs will be blue.

Name:  Cutting locking lug seats pistol  14 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  82.2 KB

Big Dog, if this cut for the locking lugs is blue on #7, then #7 is probably the mystery pistol...

If the cut out is not blued, then #7 can not be the mystery pistol...

Your friend, BC

Locking lug cut

Bill, the locking lug cut does not appear to be blued. The dates on your pictures could reflect the date you loaded them on your computer not the actual date taken, sometimes I see that on my pictures when I transfer them between computer & phone.

Mike "Big Dog" Sherrill
    "Everyday is like shooting into a funnel, you just don't know which way it is facing until you begin."

bill the pistol was sent to me for john benyo . will give john a call . jim

Friend Jim Peightal

Quote Originally Posted by jim peightal View Post
    bill the pistol was sent to me for john benyo . will give john a call . jim

Friend Jim Peightal:

Yes...........

Jim, that was back in 2000......

We'll be interested in seeing what input John has to offer....

We've got to determine where this mystery pistol is, and what happened to it...

And............

Is it actually Big Dog's #7 pistol?

Jim, thank you for responding....

Your friend, BC

PS:

Where is this pistol, today?

Name:  DSC00975.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  125.9 KB

Is this a possibility?

Is this a possibility?

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Is this a possibility:

I'm pretty sure I used the camera's flash when I took these pictures.....

You can see the bright strip of light right at the stock line and extending back through the action.

Red arrows...

Name:  DSC00975 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  89.0 KB

Is it possible that this action is actually blued, but the flash has washed the blue out?

We can still see that the recoil lug is blue......

And the small end of the bolt shroud looks blue.....but the large flair of the bolt shroud looks washed out....last red arrow on the left...

Searching for answers.....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

pistol

bill you have a e mail

Friend Jim Peightal

bill you have a e mail

Friend Jim Peightal:

Thank you...

And I want to thank John Benyo for his E-Mail...

The reason I sent the pistol to Jim, is because he's a FFL licensee....

The pistol was for John Benyo to see if it would be competitive shooting bottle caps, which is big in their area.

It was not truly competitive, and John said it did not have the black H&S stock on it, like the pistol on the cover of my book and Big Dog's #7 pistol...

This was in 2000.....

Thank you again Jim and John...

By the way...........

I converted a Hart #4, unlimited, center fire bench rest action to rimfire for John....rail gun action...

Hart actions used Remington 40-X bolts....

But we did something different........about the barrel...

Cap shooters were using riflse with massive barrels at that time, and no muzzle devices...

So I suggested to John we try a contemporary size RFBR barrel with a MD on the big Hart..

So we did, and John has won a ton of cap matches with that big #4 Hart, with a small RFBR barrel and muzzle device.

I've lost my photographs of that big Hart rifle....

Anyway.................

It looks like we're back to square one.....with the mystery pistol..

As it stands at this moment....

The most likely possibility is that Big Dog's #7 pistol is the pistol on my book cover..

The biggest fly in the ointment, is the date Big Dog acquired #7 and the date I took the picture that's on the cover of my book...

Big Dog acquired #7 about a year before the date I took the picture...

A big question is, is the date I took the picture correct.......I know Big Dog's purchase date is correct...FFL records show that...

Still searching.....

Your friend, BC

Who owns this pistol......Big Dog?.......maybe..

Name:  the art of rimfire accuracy.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  120.0 KB

Friend Jim Peightal:

bill you have a e mail

Friend Jim Peightal:

I've been going over old photographs and things trying to figure out the story of the pistol on my book cover...

And I ran across this photograph.

I don't remember what year this was, but I've got on one of Mary Sherrill's long sleeve tee-shirts she made for folks...along with a big hug.....

Name:  P1000149.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  115.6 KB

Anyway....

Jim, here's what I've decided to do:

I'm going to take the XP action I've been trying to convert for the past 13 years, install it in the black XP stock that was on my 40-X pistol, maybe screw a barrel into it.....

And probably mount a scope on it......maybe the same one that's on the mystery pistol...

Now, the action is not fully converted, so I'll put the front half of a 40-X bolt in the loading port, this way I'll have a blued XP that closely resembles the Mystery pistol, save for not having a bolt handle......

Then I'm going to the range and set the pistol up on the same bench as the mystery pistol was on, and I'll use the same camera, yes I still use it today....it's 18 years old....or so....

I'll put the camera on flash and set it on the same bench it was sitting on when I photographed the mystery pistol, and take some pictures.....

I want to see if using the flash washes out the blue of the receiver......

If it doesn't, then the mystery pistol was in the white, not blued, when I took the picture in 2004...

If the blue is washed out, then most likely Big Dog's #7 pistol is the mystery pistol...

Name:  DSC00975 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  89.0 KB

Your pistol fool friend, BC

pistol

bill it was may of 06 . adam was stationed at fort knox then. we were there for the ara match. jim

Friend Jim Peightal

bill it was may of 06 . adam was stationed at fort knox then. we were there for the ara match. jim

Friend Jim Peightal

Thank you......

Your friend, BC