Where is this pistol?

About ready to take the picture...

Friend Jim Peightal:

I've been going over old photographs and things trying to figure out the story of the pistol on my book cover...

And I ran across this photograph.

I don't remember what year this was, but I've got on one of Mary Sherrill's long sleeve tee-shirts she made for folks...along with a big hug.....

View attachment 2934

Anyway....

Jim, here's what I've decided to do:

I'm going to take the XP action I've been trying to convert for the past 13 years, install it in the black XP stock that was on my 40-X pistol, maybe screw a barrel into it.....

And probably mount a scope on it......maybe the same one that's on the mystery pistol...

Now, the action is not fully converted, so I'll put the front half of a 40-X bolt in the loading port, this way I'll have a blued XP that closely resembles the Mystery pistol, save for not having a bolt handle......

Then I'm going to the range and set the pistol up on the same bench as the mystery pistol was on, and I'll use the same camera, yes I still use it today....it's 18 years old....or so....

I'll put the camera on flash and set it on the same bench it was sitting on when I photographed the mystery pistol, and take some pictures.....

I want to see if using the flash washes out the blue of the receiver......

If it doesn't, then the mystery pistol was in the white, not blued, when I took the picture in 2004...

If the blue is washed out, then most likely Big Dog's #7 pistol is the mystery pistol...

View attachment 2935

Your pistol fool friend, BC

About ready to take the picture...

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I'm going to try to get to the range later today, to take the picture I described above...

If the flash washes out the blue, then most likely Big Dog's #7 is the mystery pistol..

I hope it does wash it out, because I'm about out of clues......

Art 1.jpg

I got sidetracked today...

I got sidetracked today...

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I got sidetracked today with some other business, so I didn't get a chance to take the photograph I wanted to...

Next best chance will be Sunday....

CYA friends:

We have to know, if at all possible, where the pistol on the cover of my book is....and who owns it..

Art 1.jpg

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog:

Big Dog, if you have time and want to fool with it, I need you to take a picture of #7...

Here's what we need:

DSC00975 - Copy - Copy (2).jpg

A picture that shows the gap between the back of the trigger and the back of the trigger guard opening in the stock.

If this gap is about the same on #7 as on the pistol on my book cover....

Then #7 is the mystery pistol....

Only take this picture if you have time and want to fool with it....

Your friend, BC

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog

Thank you....

Trigger of number 7.jpg
DSC00975 - Copy - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG

When you look at these two pictures, it looks like the gap behind the trigger shoe is much greater on the pistol on my book cover, than the gap behind the trigger shoe of #7...

But........................

Use your imagination, and extend a line from the front edge of the recoil lug down to the back edge of the trigger shoe, on both pictures....

It looks like the back edge of the trigger shoes, in both pictures, line up with the front edge of the recoil lug...

So is the angel of the picture of #7 causing an optical illusion.......making the gap look smaller?

Michael, what would be interesting, is to have another picture of #7, squaring up more with the trigger opening, with a piece of white paper behind the pistol.......

In other words, the camera needs to be moved slightly to the left.....

If you want to fool with it and have time....

Even though it doesn't look like it by these pictures, #7 very well may be the pistol on my book cover...

Your friend, BC

PS:

Big Dog, if you do take another picture, have the pistol cocked when you do.....OK..

#7 has a Bond trigger, and depending on where the third lever positions itself in the de-cocked mode, can alter the position of the trigger shoe.....

If the third lever, when de-cocked, kisses the back of the trigger sear, it will keep it pushed forward, which will cause the trigger shoe to be positioned further back.......

Also, drop the camera down slightly......the camera is slightly above the trigger guard opening in the picture you posted...whereas the camera is looking square on at the opening on my book cover...bc

Back
Top Bottom