Thread: An accuracy enhancement....

An accuracy enhancement....

An accuracy enhancement....

CYA accuracy fool friends:

The DiOrio V-3 is the finest, potential, pure accuracy producing RFBR action ever created by the hand of man.

Name:  DSC09687 (2).jpg
Views: 260
Size:  101.8 KB

I discovered the benefit of the triple lug MD-PAS action on a very historic day, March 26, 2014...

I've told the story of this historic day several times, so won't repeat it...

Anyway.......

There's no custom RFBR action made today that has more pure accuracy producing potential than a well blueprinted DiOrio V-3.....

If I were still a practicing RFBR schmidt today, I wouldn't consider starting a new build with any action but the V-3...

JPAT is of a like mind.........

Now........................

Is there a true accuracy enhancement that could be added to the V-3?

The answer is yes.........just one.

And by the way, this is the only true accuracy enhancement that the V-3 could make use of....

It needs nothing else in the way of pure accuracy enhancements.....

First of all, the .750" x 16TPI barrel tenon of the V-3 must be retained.......

But.........................

I would like to see, as an option, a .850" x 16TPI barrel tenon version of the V-3....

Here's why:

In RFBR we use button rifled barrels......

And when the OD of a button rifled barrel is reduced, the bore opens up......and becomes distorted...

Since the world of Big Time RFBR is into .900" diameter barrels now, if we only reduced the barrel tenon diameter to .850", instead of down to .750", we would not open up and distort the bore nearly as much......

Plus, the problem of over tightening the .750" diameter barrel tenon would be reduced proportionally....

Yes, over tightening is an issue.......

I've seen some knots drawn in the bore of barrels at the juncture of the barrel shoulder and action face that you could turn a slug sideways in, from the barrel being over tightened so bad.....

JPAT had one the other day that blew his mind......it took over 50 pounds of torque to break the barrel free......no wonder the thing wouldn't shoot...

Anyway......................

An .850" diameter barrel tenon version would be the only "pure accuracy enhancement' possible for the V-3...

Everything else needed to produce ultimate, pure rimfire accuracy the V-3 already has...

Am I going to pester Anthony about this?

No................

Just thinking out loud....

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

A .900" diameter barrel with a .850" diameter barrel tenon leaves a barrel shoulder of .025", which is gobs plenty..

I'm running a .800" diameter barrel on my MD-PAS pistol with its .750" tenon, with the opening at the action face of almost .770".....

So I'm only running .015", or so, of barrel shoulder.......and the thing just kicks it.......

Name:  DSC00107 (2).jpg
Views: 248
Size:  108.9 KB

Bill! Must ask: "it took over 50 pounds of torque to break the barrel free"

You mean 50 ft-lbs ?

BR,Timo

Friend gun fool Timo

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Bill! Must ask: "it took over 50 pounds of torque to break the barrel free"

You mean 50 ft-lbs ?

BR,Timo

Friend gun fool Timo:

Yes, Jeff said it took over 50 ft-lbs of torque to loosen the barrel...

Timo, JPAT has become the caretaker of used Calfee's......I'm no longer capable...

Anyway, Jeff's gotten to remove some of the barrels that I installed....

By the way, I never used a torque wrench, and I don't believe Jeff does either, since there's simply way to many variables that affect torque...

I believe Jeff told me it took 15-17 ft-lbs to remove the barrels I installed...

And even at 15-17 ft-lbs the cavity that forms in the bore at the juncture of the barrel shoulder and action face is already starting to form....

So you can imagine what the bore of that poor barrel looked like with over 50 ft-lbs of torque...

This is why I'd love to see a V-3 option with an .850" diameter barrel thread....

And no, I'm not going to pester Anthony DiOrio to get one....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

Timo, I'd love to see you sit behind this thing for just 5 minutes.....it'd change your whole perception about what kind of contraption it takes to produce killer rimfire accuracy....

Name:  DSC00277 - Copy.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  120.4 KB

I am BIG fan of old Valmet RF:s as many has noticed.I put picture of 95 years old VKT Leijona M35 t3- barrel thread .900x20tpi.

This was/is PAS ignition with 2 lugs.

Irons are so heavy that it is impossible to get those to even HV class with scope ad even with lightest stock.

They didnt spare steel those days.

Valmet factory has the best barrel lapping guy ever lived in this country.What I have heard he didnt "talk or kiss" and didnt teach lapping to younger guys.

About RF pistols.Shooted only few times with 50 m free pistols and siluette pistols from sand bags and been surprised how accuracy their are.
    I have small idea what you mean.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1accBIGu5gc

BR, Timo

Name:  VKT 35 Valmet Leijona.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  32.2 KB

Friend gun fool Timo

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    I am BIG fan of old Valmet RF:s as many has noticed.I put picture of 95 years old VKT Leijona M35 t3- barrel thread .900x20tpi.

This was/is PAS ignition with 2 lugs.

Irons are so heavy that it is impossible to get those to even HV class with scope ad even with lightest stock.

They didnt spare steel those days.

Valmet factory has the best barrel lapping guy ever lived in this country.What I have heard he didnt "talk or kiss" and didnt teach lapping to younger guys.

About RF pistols.Shooted only few times with 50 m free pistols and siluette pistols from sand bags and been surprised how accuracy their are.
    I have small idea what you mean.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1accBIGu5gc

BR, Timo

Name:  VKT 35 Valmet Leijona.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  32.2 KB

Friend gun fool Timo:

I like the music in that video...

It's been over 100 years since Winchester brought out the 52 Winchester with PAS ignition...

And now over 100 years later, no one has produced a more consistent rimfire ignition system...

The only improvement to the Winchester PAS system, was when Flash Ebert made it momentum dependent...

This is why I refer to it as MD-PAS ignition...

Friend Timo, no SAP rimfire ignition system has ever been created that will produce uniformity of ignition like MD-PAS..

Which begs a most interesting, and mystifying, question concerning RFBR equipment:

Why are SAP ignition RFBR actions still being produced?

I can't imagine starting a new build today with a SAP ignition RFBR action, that is, if I had aspirations of winning Big National RFBR Events and setting Records..

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

Timo, if you put one of those "Olympic style" free pistols on a bi-pod and shot it in ARA against "Olympic style" rifles on a one piece rest, it's doubtful those pistols would be remotely competitive with the rifles, shooting ARA...

But......................

This is not the case with these MD-PAS bench pistols, that are shot from a bi-pod against rifles shot off one piece rests...

Friend Timo, these pistols don't back up from no rifles, nowhere on Earth.

This is why I'm working so hard to see that they become available to the masses.

Name:  DSC00107 (2).jpg
Views: 70
Size:  108.9 KB