Thread: How do you tell if the bore is glazed on your RFBR gun?

How do you tell if the bore is glazed on your RFBR gun?

How do you tell if the bore is glazed in your RFBR barrel?

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Bore glazing is a "real" issue we must deal with......

When one fires enough rounds, quickly enough, to thin the viscosity of the wax/grease laid down in the bore, the bore of a RFBR barrel can become glazed, especially new, unseasoned bores.

If you notice a drop off in accuracy, and no matter how you clean your bore the accuracy stays dropped off, how do you determine if the bore of your barrel is simply starting to wear out, or has become glazed?

Here's how........by the way, I've explained this before but there's renewed interest in this very serious subject.

Clean the bore of your barrel and slug it.....preferably with SK SSHP or HVHP bullets.....or Lapua......Eley for some unknown reason does not do as well for slugging.....

If you notice a slight sandpaper feel, starting at the end of the chamber and extending down the bore for a few inches, do this:

Have a slug ready, then fire three or four rounds through the bore, then immediately push the slug through the bore.

If the sandpaper feel is gone, or greatly reduced, your bore is simply worn, not glazed.

The reason is, the wax/grease from shooting the rounds has masked the wear in the bore....

If when you push the slug through the bore the sandpaper feel is still present, your bore has become glazed...

The reason is, the wax/grease laid down by shooting the rounds will not mask the glaze......

Why I do not know...

In other words, the wax/grease will mask a worn bore, but not a glazed bore....

Now:

This is for CYankees only....

I would avoid shooting BR-50, even original BR-50........especially with a new, unseasoned bore.

(Or any other activity where you shoot a lot of rounds very quickly)

And of course CYankees do not have to follow my advice, either.....

But CYA accuracy fool friends, this subject is so important that I would be remiss if I didn't at least offer my advice.

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Name:  DSC00107 (2).jpg
Views: 186
Size:  108.9 KB

One obvious comment here....

One obvious comment here....

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Common sense.......

If you've got a new barrel with only a couple thousand rounds through it, and you clean it thoroughly, then as you push a slug through it you feel that slight sandpaper feel.....

The bore is glazed......

No further testing necessary, since the bore can not be worn....

And there's only one remedy for a glazed bore....

You cast a lap and de-glaze it.......

But...............

When you do so, don't do something stupid like I did when I cast a lap and de-glazed the bore of Jimmy Jack...

I got fancy, thought I'd make a killer a double killer with just a little extra lapping....

Knowing better............that's the sad part......I knew better.....

And I've probably ruined that killer Muller by being stupid...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

The weather has moderated......springtime is coming...

I've got one more attempt at trying to salvage that killer Muller on Jimmy Jack...

And why do I do this?

Because there's a huge Jimmy Jack fan club......

I'm going to try not to let those folks down...

Name:  IMG_7075(2) - Copy.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  19.5 KB