Where are the 13 Patterso Spec Rifles going ?

Where are the 13 Patterson Spec Rifles going ?

Hi Bill and Jeff, thought this may be an interesting list to start, of not only names but where these sepcial rifles will land ?

P1 - Primevil
P2 -
P3 -
P4 -
P5 -
P6 - Waltzing Matilda - Bill Collaros - Down Under AUSTRALIA
P7 -
P8 -
P9 - Tombstone
P10 -
P11 - Red River
P12 -
P13 -

Last edited:
Hi Bill and Jeff, thought this may be an interesting list to start, of not only names but where these sepcial rifles will land ?

P1 - Primevil
P2 -
P3 -
P4 -
P5 -
P6 - Waltzing Matilda - Bill Collaros - Down Under AUSTRALIA
P7 -
P8 -
P9 - Tombstone
P10 -
P11 - Red River
P12 -
P13 -

Bill,

Listed below is the current list of J-PAT SPEC rifles:

SPEC 1. Robert Oates "Primevil"

SPEC 2. Charles King (AKA BUBKING) Name: TBD

SPEC 3. Larry Parsons: Name TBD

SPEC 4. Anthony Wright: Name TBD

SPEC 5. Mike Sherill: Name TBD

SPEC 6. Bill Collaros "Waltzing Matilda"

SPEC 7. Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 8 Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 9. Larry Mills: "Tombstone"

SPEC 10. Not announced "The Virginian"

SPEC 11. Norm Flynn "Red River"

SPEC 12. Brian Brandt: Name TBD

SPEC 13. Still available as I write this.

I'm going to make an effort to track these rifles and their owners and would appreciate any help I can get.

Please note only one J-PAT SPEC rifle is available and that will be lucky number 13.

As most know, these rifles are, and will be, very special competition rifles.

They will all have a distinctive look with the actions being Jeweled (engine turned) and their SPEC number on the side of the action.

Only the best components will be used and they will be handcrafted with great attention to detail.

It remains to be seen if they will achieve lasting notoriety as Calfee SPEC rifles have but it will be interesting to see.

TKH

UPDATE: SPEC 13 has been ordered by Dennis Cronin. He has not picked a name for the rifle yet.

All J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

TKH

Last edited:
Great Tony thanks

Hopefully u will be on the list, i am also interested to see if any other than mine will be living overseas ?

Last edited:
Hopefully u will be on the list, i am also interested to see if any other than mine will be living overseas ?

Bill,

I really wanted a Calfee SPEC rifle but was never able to get one.

When I first heard of the J-PAT SPEC rifles I was very much tempted into trying to get on his list.

But when Bill retired it forced me into doing my own gun work. Bill has shared with me a lot of information on his techniques. I've actually been to his shop a couple of times.

So I've been doing my own work for years now.

I've decided I would rather shoot my own work and to see how much, if anything, I've learned. I'm going to chase down opportunities to shoot against these J-PAT SPEC rifles.

When I beat one I'll put a notch in my stock, when I get beat by one I'll go back and work harder.

I know the standard these J-PAT SPEC rifles represent and I want to meet or beat that standard, just as I did when I shot against Calfee SPEC rifles.

That's my attitude and I'm sticking with it.

TKH

Last edited:
Bill,

I'm going to make an effort to track these rifles and their owners and would appreciate any help I can get.

Please note only one J-PAT SPEC rifle is available and that will be lucky number 13.

They will all have a distinctive look with the actions being Jeweled (engine turned) and their SPEC number on the side of the action.

Only the best components will be used and they will be handcrafted with great attention to detail.

It remains to be seen if they will achieve lasting notoriety as Calfee SPEC rifles have but it will be interesting to see.

TKH

Tony, Spec P13 is now spoken for. Dennis Cronin will be the proud new owner. No name as of yet.

RFS99

Tony, Spec P13 is now spoken for. Dennis Cronin will be the proud new owner. No name as of yet.

RFS99

Well, that certainly didn't take long. All 13 J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

Now it's up the Jeff to work his magic.

Thanks for the up date.

TKH

Friend TDX

Well, that certainly didn't take long. All 13 J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

Now it's up the Jeff to work his magic.

Thanks for the up date.

TKH

Friend TDX:

Do you know who will get SPEC P10, and, will the name be "THE VIRGINIAN"?

TDX, you know if I could build just one more SPEC rifle, which is not going to happen by the way, it would be named "THE VIRGINIAN"

20210316_164824 - Copy - Copy (9) - Copy.jpg

Once again, it isn't going to happen, but man, that is an Iconic name for a SPEC rifle....

By the way, I'd use the same stock graphics and black paint that I used on THE SHERIFF that I build for the ole Hawk several years ago.....

Front bumper, sheriff.jpg

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Friend TDX:

Do you know who will get SPEC P10, and, will the name be "THE VIRGINIAN"?

TDX, you know if I could build just one more SPEC rifle, which is not going to happen by the way, it would be named "THE VIRGINIAN"

View attachment 4000

Once again, it isn't going to happen, but man, that is an Iconic name for a SPEC rifle....

By the way, I'd use the same stock graphics and black paint that I used on THE SHERIFF that I build for the ole Hawk several years ago.....

View attachment 4001

Bill,

The buyer does not wish his/her name to be known at this time. But I do believe SPEC 10 will be "The Virginian".

It would be a crying shame if it wasn't.

I wish you would get off your lazy tail and produce that last Calfee SPEC rifle and we would have both a Calfee SPEC "The Virginian" and a J-PAT SPEC rifle "The Virginian".

That would be really special. It would just about drive everyone insane with two Virginian's to worry about.

Dreaming, just dreaming.

I should be happy that Jeff will produce his J-PAT SPEC "The Virginian".

Your Friend,
TKH (4628).

Last edited:
Friend TKH

Bill,

The buyer does not wish his/her name to be known at this time. But I do believe SPEC 10 will be "The Virginian".

It would be a crying shame if it wasn't.

I wish you would get off your lazy tail and produce that last Calfee SPEC rifle and we would have both a Calfee SPEC "The Virginian" and a J-PAT SPEC rifle "The Virginian".

That would be really special. It would just about drive everyone insane with two Virginian's to worry about.

Dreaming, just dreaming.

I should be happy that Jeff will produce his J-PAT SPEC "The Virginian".

Your Friend,
TKH (4628).

Friend TKH:

Tony, Jeff Patterson just left my shop......

He brings things he's working on, sometimes, for me to give my stamp of approval to.......( like my stamp of approval is needed, which it's not)

Anyway Tony, that man is better at this time in his young RFBR career than I was in my prime.

By the way, the piece Jeff brought out for my inspection was absolutely perfect......

Oh, oh, before I forget......

Jeff is going to do some more octagons........I believe he just got one in......which he will have to re-lap, of course....

Finally:

Tony, I'd give about anything if I could get off my lazy tail, as you call it, and produce another Calfee SPEC.....THE VIRGINIAN...

But those days are gone.......

Friend TKH:

Tony, Jeff Patterson just left my shop......

He brings things he's working on, sometimes, for me to give my stamp of approval to.......( like my stamp of approval is needed, which it's not)

Anyway Tony, that man is better at this time in his young RFBR career than I was in my prime.

By the way, the piece Jeff brought out for my inspection was absolutely perfect......

Oh, oh, before I forget......

Jeff is going to do some more octagons........I believe he just got one in......which he will have to re-lap, of course....

Finally:

Tony, I'd give about anything if I could get off my lazy tail, as you call it, and produce another Calfee SPEC.....THE VIRGINIAN...

But those days are gone.......

Bill,

I'm just poking at you. I very much know what it is like not being able to do as you once could.

I mean no harm. But sometimes I dream not of how things are, but how I would like things to be.

I guess that is in some ways like living your youth again.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Your friend,

TKH (4628)

Friend TDX

Bill,

I'm just poking at you. I very much know what it is like not being able to do as you once could.

I mean no harm. But sometimes I dream not of how things are, but how I would like things to be.

I guess that is in some ways like living your youth again.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Your friend,

TKH (4628)

Friend TDX:

Me and you are kinda in the same boat.....we've got 15 year old minds captured inside of 75-77 year old bodies....

I'm lucky, I get to dream and J-PAT does all the work.........

Tony, yesterday Jeff brought out a build he's working on for me to evaluate.....

By the way, he knows the work he has me look at is perfect......

Anyway...........

He stood over by the shop door wearing a covid mask while I sat at the workbench and evaluate his work.....(course he's trying to hide a big sheep eating grin)

So I got down to the chamber part of the evaluation......

I checked his leade engraving length, based on the style rifling that was in the barrel.....in this case a 4-MI, and it was perfect.....

Then I got to the chamber finishing................centering, and how fluid the transition is from the leade into the bore....

TDX, I wish I could make them as perfect as this piece of work I held in my hands.......

When I finished I looked over at him and smiled......then he let that big sheep eating grin explode and said what he always does:

"Well Bill, you taught me."

Me and you are dreamers, TDX......always will be.......and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too..

Investing in a legacy....

Investing in a legacy....

To the owner of SPEC P1, and the potential owners of the other 12 Patterson SPEC rifles:

You folks are like the appreciators of fine art who invest massive sums to acquire their masterpieces....

Mundane RFBR guns, no matter how successful they are occasionally, become forgotten as time moves on.

Not so with SPEC rifles.......

Years from now these 13 Patterson SPEC rifles will still be in front of the RFBR world......they will never be forgotten..

Just look at my series of SPEC rifles, now 13 years old and still in front of the RFBR world with their value skyrocketing.

Along with the legacy of J-PAT's SPEC rifles, their value will continue to increase.....

You 13 folks are the envy of the entire world of Big Time RFBR......

Let your journeys begin....

Your cited pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

Isn't this a gorgeous piece of RFBR ART........and 13 years from today it will still be at the top of the RFBR world, and will only increase in value.

DSC01845.jpg

Bill,

TKH

UPDATE: SPEC 13 has been ordered by Dennis Cronin. He has not picked a name for the rifle yet.

All J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

TKH

Tony, I have updated the list below with a few changes.
- Larry Parsons has moved up to own Spec 2, now named "High Card"
- Spec 3 and Spec 13 have swapped owners, with Denny Cronin now owning Spec 3, Larry Parsons now owning Spec 13. Denny's rifle will be named "Perfect Storm".

SPEC 2. Larry Parsons "High Card"

SPEC 3. Denny Cronin "Perfect Storm"

SPEC 13. Larry Parsons "Against the Wind"

FYI,

RFS99

Last edited:
Friend Tombstone

Tony, I have updated the list below with a few changes.
- Larry Parsons has moved up to own Spec 2, now named "High Card"
- Spec 3 and Spec 13 have swapped owners, with Denny Cronin now owning Spec 3, Larry Parsons now owning Spec 13. Denny's rifle will be named "Perfect Storm".

SPEC 2. Larry Parsons "High Card"

SPEC 13. Larry Parsons "Against the Wind"

FYI,

RFS99

Friend Tombstone:

I like the name "Perfect Storm"......

I probably heard wrong, but, I talked to Larry Parsons a few days ago and I thought he said the name for SPEC P-2 would be "High Table"..

Again, I may have misheard what he said...

Friend Tombstone:

I like the name "Perfect Storm"......

I probably heard wrong, but, I talked to Larry Parson a few days ago and I thought he said the name for SPEC P-2 would be "High Table"..

Again, I may have misheard what he said...

Bill, you heard correct. I made a mistake in my update. "High Table" is P2 and "Against the Wind" is P13, both going to Larry.

Thanks for checking it for me.

Tombstone

Corrected List below is the current J-PAT SPEC rifles:

SPEC 2. Larry Parsons "High Table"