What could it be?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
What could it be?

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Here's a quote from CYA member Jsmith from the thread I started on the Calfee forum about the benefit of the trigger hanger:

Jerry's quote:

"Just wondering if there was a better way to change the timing and force that was simpler than a trigger hanger and didnt change several things at once like moving a hanger does, would it be accepted? I recently have seen a very simple solution to adjusting pin fall without changing spring tension and allows the timing to be early upon closing or as late as you want. With the only advancement since the turbo being the quality of ammo sold recently, are the masses hungry for better or will they just reject change? Sorry I left out the fact that there have been some better quality barrels show up lately also."

I highlighted one of Jerry's comments in bold orange, and asked him to please describe how this very simple solution works:

Now............

I'm sure Jerry is busy with the ARA Indoor Nationals, but hopefully when they're over he'll tell us how this very simple solution works.....we're all looking forward to it.....

But until then......................

How could one configure an action that pins the trigger, no trigger hanger, so it is simpler to change the bolt closer and pin travel, than an action that uses a trigger hanger?

And not only would the system be easier, at the same time it would not change the firing pin spring tension.....per Jerry.

I'm going to ponder on this for a spell....

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

I'm for anything new that works.....

sorry for slow response

Mr Bill , the action I refered to has the firing pin body threaded to the cocking piece at 64 threads per inch, the shoulder that the spring rides on the pin body accepts shims for the spring. One revolution on the firing pin equals 15 thousandths pin fall, also removing or adding a .015 shim at the spring will allow seat pressure to remain constant. The clearance of the cocking sear to trigger upper bar can be set by grinding the bottom of the cocking piece although I found it to be close to the .014 I was looking for, so no need to shim the hanger down for interference. I would love to post pics but this is not my design nor does the gun belong to me. I was amazed at the ease of ignition on this platform and the fact the manufacturer provided lifetime quality springs of different rates that are light years ahead of the junk our current action makers provide. Hope this is helpful as I explained it best I could. PS the bolt on this action disassebles without a tool and changes can be made in seconds.

Last edited:
Friend Jsmith

Friend Jsmith

Friend Jsmith:

I know you must be busy with the Nationals, so I really didn't expect you to respond so quickly....

So thank you.....

Jerry, I lay in bed last night and pondered on what the "very simple solution" could be to addressing bolt closer and pin travel issues, without the use of a trigger hanger.

The last thing on Earth I imagined someone would attempt to do, would be to thread the cocking piece and firing pin of an action, in an attempt to solve the bolt closer and pin fall issues that are so easily, and accurately, solved with a trigger hanger..

Jerry, I do have comments...

But.............

I will not comment without permission from whomever made the action you've been commenting about.

Would you do me, you, and the folks here at CYA a favor, when you have time?

Would you please contact whomever made the action you've been discussing, and see if they'll grant me permission to comment on their design.

Thank you again for commenting so quickly and good luck this week-end.

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Friend Jsmith

Mr Bill , the action I refered to has the firing pin body threaded to the cocking piece at 64 threads per inch, the shoulder that the spring rides on the pin body accepts shims for the spring. One revolution on the firing pin equals 15 thousandths pin fall, also removing or adding a .015 shim at the spring will allow seat pressure to remain constant. The clearance of the cocking sear to trigger upper bar can be set by grinding the bottom of the cocking piece although I found it to be close to the .014 I was looking for, so no need to shim the hanger down for interference. I would love to post pics but this is not my design nor does the gun belong to me. I was amazed at the ease of ignition on this platform and the fact the manufacturer provided lifetime quality springs of different rates that are light years ahead of the junk our current action makers provide. Hope this is helpful as I explained it best I could. PS the bolt on this action disassebles without a tool and changes can be made in seconds.

Friend Jsmith:

Jerry, now that the dust has settled from the ARA Indoor Nationals and PSL, when you have time would you contact whomever built the action you posted about above, the one with the simpler way to time for ease of bolt closer and pin fall, than an action that uses a trigger hanger?

Jerry, I have comments that you, the maker of the action, and the entire world of RFBR would like to hear concerning threading the cocking piece and firing pin of an action as a way to make adjustments for bolt closer timing and pin fall...compared to a trigger hanger....

But.......................

Like I've already stated......

I will not comment without permission from whomever produced the action you commented about, above...

Jerry, thank you in advance.....

Friend Jsmith

Friend Jsmith:

Jerry, now that the dust has settled from the ARA Indoor Nationals and PSL, when you have time would you contact whomever built the action you posted about above, the one with the simpler way to time for ease of bolt closer and pin fall, than an action that uses a trigger hanger?

Jerry, I have comments that you, the maker of the action, and the entire world of RFBR would like to hear concerning threading the cocking piece and firing pin of an action as a way to make adjustments for bolt closer timing and pin fall...compared to a trigger hanger....

But.......................

Like I've already stated......

I will not comment without permission from whomever produced the action you commented about, above...

Jerry, thank you in advance.....

Friend Jsmith:

Jerry, you volunteered the information you posted....

I'm simply responding....

Please try to obtain permission for me to comment, OK...

I won't comment without it...

PS:

Jerry, when you voluntarily posted your information, you surly understood that the entire world of RFBR was going to be curious......

Friend Jsmith

Friend Jsmith:

Jerry, you volunteered the information you posted....

I'm simply responding....

Please try to obtain permission for me to comment, OK...

I won't comment without it...

PS:

Jerry, when you voluntarily posted your information, you surly understood that the entire world of RFBR was going to be curious......

Friend Jsmith:

I've had several folks interested in my thoughts about attempting to develop ignition, pin fall, etc, and time bolt closer, by using a threaded cocking piece and firing pin with a fixed, pinned, trigger, as opposed to the very accurate and simple method of using a trigger hanger..

But.............

I stated I would not comment without permission from whomever made the action you volunteered your information about....

When you have time, would you please contact the maker of the action and seek permission for me to respond.

Thank you in advance...

PS:

Jerry, I hope you get the opportunity to sit behind one of these pistols one day....

There's nothing else like them in RFBR....and they don't back up from no rifles....

DSC00107 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom