Thread: Initial retardation

Initial retardation

Initial retardation

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Initial retardation....

Have you ever wondered why, after you test ammo at one of the ammo test centers, that the ammo sometimes doesn't seem to shoot as well in the real world of RFBR?

In my opinion, it's because of initial retardation...

The test centers lock your barreled action down, solid.....there is no initial retardation...

When you get back into the real world, on your one piece rest, your contraption is free to recoil.....

In the real world we do deal with initial retardation......

I bring this extremely important subject of initial retardation up, because Jeff Patterson is going to start using my old RTB rest that I built back in the 80's to test ammo with...

It allows the barreled action to be clamped by the front receiver ring, everything else floats, and allows the barreled action to free recoil, giving a real world picture of the initial retardation....unlike the test centers where the barreled action is solid mounted.

Name:  P1000109 (3).JPG
Views: 320
Size:  390.0 KB

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Talked to JPAT today...

Talked to JPAT today...

Talked to JPAT today...

He's cited to get to spearment with my RTB.....

Name:  P1000109 (3).JPG
Views: 249
Size:  390.0 KB

And I'm cited too....

This is my opinion......OK...

I don't believe you can lock an action down, no initial retardation, at a test center, and expect the same level of accuracy that you'll get in the real world when you must deal with initial retardation...

And here's maybe the biggie......

There might be killer ammo that works in you contraption, with your initial retardation, that gets passed by with your action locked down at a test center....

So this is a two way street...

I'm sorry, but, there's no way I'd use a test center to buy ammo if I were serious about winning Big National Indoor RFBR Events.......I'm sorry...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

The importance of initial retardation...

The importance of initial retardation...

I'm cited by the prospect of JPAT getting to fool with my RTB setup.....

Name:  P1000109 (3).jpg
Views: 187
Size:  151.2 KB

When we compete we have to deal with the initial retardation of the recoiling contraption....

And how our contraption deals with this initial retardation determines how accurate it is...

We must deal with the first .100" of rearward barrel movement....

When a contraption is locked down solid at a ammo test center, the results are without this initial retardation...

Therefore...........

It isn't surprising that ammo selected by test center results sometimes does not shoot as well when the initial retardation factor comes into play in the real world of competition.

And like I've said, this can be a two way street......

The test center may reject ammo that may be killer if shot in your contraption with the initial retardation at play.

I want to do my own ammo testing.....in my contraption, with my initial retardation at play.

Here's a test JPAT will be running with my old RTB machine..

Here's a test JPAT will be running with my old RTB machine..

When JPAT has time, he's going to run an initial retardation test on different lots of ammo using my old RTB fixture..

My old RTB can be used providing recoil movement, initial retardation we have to deal with in the real world..

And it can be locked down, like at the ammo test facilities..

This way JPAT will determine if different lots of ammo shoots differently when the contraption is locked down, or, allowed to free recoil.........with initial retardation in play...

Name:  P1000109 (3).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  151.2 KB