Modifying the old Parker Hale rod...

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Modifying the old Parker Hale rod...

CYA accuracy fool friends:

There's more misinformation spread around the Internet about cleaning rods by self appointed cleaning rod experts, than just about any other subject involving proper bore cleaning of the stainless steel barrels we use in RFBR.........

Therefore.............

I'm going to give you folks some of my misinformation, too, since I'm also a self appointed cleaning rod expert.

1.....Stainless steel cleaning rods are not to be used in stainless steel barrels.....

2.....Never push a brush through a bore, never....pull it back through the bore....

3.....There is no such thing as a "safe" cleaning rod.....but, I'm going to show you the make-up of a rod that comes closes to being "safe"....

That rod being...

A properly modified, early, carbon steel based Parker Hale. The later Parker Hale rods are not the same.

Note:

Modifying the Parker Hale is complicated.....

(Actually it's futile for me to be doing this since these fine rods are no longer available, but I said I would, so.)

So I'm going to start posting pictures and describing the process, which will probably take more than one posting to do..

But first, here's the properties of the old Parker Hale rods:

The rod is made of carbon steel and properly heat treated, and the rods are dead straight

They are coated, which is easily removed as it isn't actually bonded to the rod...

The rod uses an adapter to go from the metric thread on the end of the rod to the American 8x32 thread so American brushes and jags can be used......

Now to begin the modification....

The brass fitting on the end of the rod, with a shoulder that the adapter squares up against, has to be removed from the rod after the coating is removed...

This complicated aligning a jag on the rod so it is perfectly straight with the rod....

I told you this wasn't a picnic.....( but is it worth it, oh yes)

So before I go further here's some pictures:

Once the coating is removed the diameter of the rod is .180"....

I'm sorry, but I thought I had my metric micrometer at the top, but when I looked at this picture I saw they are both inches micrometers.....I should have put my reading glasses on before I took the picture...

DSC01670.JPG

This is the modified Parker Hale metric jag......the picture explains what I've done...

DSC01676 - Copy.jpg

No, the rod guide isn't glued to the rod.....it's the kind of fit needed, if you can get it...

I believe I used a #15 drill when I made this rod guide......the guide is of nylon....

DSC01675.JPG

More later....

Like I said, modifying these old Parker Hale rods isn't a picnic.....

But what you wind up with is the only "safe" cleaning rod I know of for use in our stainless steel barrels...

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Before I forget it.......

I only use my Parker Hale for patch work....

When I pull a brush back through my bore I use one of my other rods.....usually the Ivy, which is stainless..

It doesn't matter what kind of rod you use to pull your brush.....as long as it's straight and has a reasonably well fitting rod guide....

You're not going to bind the rod against the bore when you pull your brush...

I can't emphasize enough that you should never push a brush through a bore.....

A couple more things before I forget...

Always finger your cleaning rod every time you use it......every time.....

If you feel anything suspect take care of it before you use the rod.....every time you use the rod....

And make sure your brush is aligned with the rod properly every time you pull it through the bore...

Twist the rod and watch the brush.....if it's off to one side, then bend it back the other way by applying pressure right above the threaded base of the brush.....don't bend the brush over by pushing on the end of the bristles...

When the brush is aligned, apply solvent and slowly start it in the muzzle, then come on with it.....

Oh, one other common sense point about pushing a brush....

Even if there were no possibility of bore damage from pushing a brush, why would you want to push all the hardened combustion by-products from the CL ring into your bore?

Always pull the brush.....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

I know some of you folks are probably thinking....

I know some of you folks are probably thinking....

I know some of you folks are probably thinking:

"Calfee, you say we shouldn't use a stainless cleaning rod in a stainless steel barrel, but all I've got are stainless rods so what am I supposed to do?"

You know, if just one cleaning rod maker would have listened 20 years ago no one would be in that predicament today.

If there's a "safe" cleaning rod for stainless barrels made in the world today I'm not aware of it....

Your self appointed cleaning rod expert fool friend, BC

PS:

I feel I need to say this again:

At least half the contraptions in use today in RFBR have some degree of damage to the bore from cleaning...

The actual figure is probably higher than that.....

Back
Top Bottom