Thread: Is there a "safe" cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels produced today?

Is there a "safe" cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels produced today?

CYA accuracy fool friends:

Since I'm one of the self appointed Internet cleaning rod experts......

You know, it's deja vu all over again.......

It feels like it's 20 years ago and the same questions that were asked then are being asked today.

And the answer is exactly the same today as it was 20 years ago.

NO................not to my knowledge.....

There are no "safe" cleaning rods for our stainless steel barrels being produced today.

Which is one of the two saddest commentary's surrounding RFBR equipment today...

I gave up years ago trying to get a "safe" cleaning rod produced for our stainless steel barrels.

Your self appointed Internet cleaning rod expert fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

This bears repeating........over and over:

50% of the contraptions in RFBR today have some degree of damage to their bores from cleaning....

That figure is probably higher.....

There's something wrong with me.....

There's something wrong with me.....

There's got to be something wrong with me.....

I mean, you'd think if an "O" ring were incorporated into the jag of a cleaning rod, that it would assist in keeping the jag centered in the bore......which it probably does.....

I'm sorry, but.....

Can you imagine what that "O" ring is going to do to the bore of your barrel after it picks up combustion bi-products and CL deposits after a few strokes through your bore....

CYA accuracy fool friends, years ago someone sent me a jag that incorporated an "O" ring....

The first thing I did was remove the "O" ring from that jag....

Again, there's something wrong with me.......I'm too nit picky.......or too cynical, or both...

Your self appointed Internet cleaning rod expert fool friend, BC

Every 8 or 10 years we go through this...

Every 8 or 10 years we go through this...

Every 8 or 10 years we go through this "safe" cleaning rod thing for stainless steel barrels.....

The self appointed Internet cleaning rod experts, including me, give advise to newbies....

(Most of the advice is actually detrimental, like using a stainless rod in a stainless barrel, or having a rubber "O" ring around the jag, etc., etc.)

It goes for a few days then we're back to where we started:

Without a "safe" cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels...

PS:

Unless some cleaning rod maker takes the bull by the horns and produces a cleaning rod based on the metallurgy of the old Parker Hale rod, we'll never have a safe cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels...

8 or 10 years ago I thought, for awhile, that Denny Phillips, Ivy Rods, was going to produce one....

But for some reason it never materialized......

Another 6 or 7 years has come and gone...

Well, another 6 or 7 years has come and gone...

Unless some cleaning rod maker takes the bull by the horns and produces a cleaning rod based on the metallurgy of the old Parker Hale rod, we'll never have a safe cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels...

The next time we have this same discussion about a "safe" cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels I'll most likely be long gone......

In the meantime half of the competitors reading this have some degree of bore damage from cleaning...

The figure is most likely higher...

Once again:

Has the world gone mad or have I gone mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calfee View Post

Well, another 6 or 7 years has come and gone...

The next time we have this same discussion about a "safe" cleaning rod for our stainless steel barrels I'll most likely be long gone......

In the meantime half of the competitors reading this have some degree of bore damage from cleaning...

The figure is most likely higher...

Once again:

__________________________________________________ __

Has the world gone mad or have I gone mad?

CYA accuracy fool friends, has the world gone mad or have I gone mad?

I mean, this idea of putting a rubber "O" ring on the jag of a cleaning rod.....

One of the things this rubber "O" ring is touted to do, is to center the rod in the bore as you pull the jag back through the crown....

Let me see if I've got this straight....

You push a tight fitting patch through the bore and out the exit of the crown...

The rod winds up extending through the crown maybe 2 to 6 inches, or so....

When the jag with the rubber "O" ring passed through the exit of the crown, the naked rod behind the jag wiped the crown and bore....

Then.....

As you pull the rod back, the naked rod again wipes the crown and bore until you get to the rubber "O" ring, which then centers the jag in the crown....

So all that rubber "O" ring has actually protected from wiping the crown and bore, is the front end of the jag itself.....

I mean, has the world gone mad, or have I gone mad?

BC