Savage extractor issues on some Baity 6 ignition conversions..

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Savage extractor issues on some Baity 6 ignition conversions..

CYA accuracy fool friends:

The Baity 6 ignition conversion for the E-Turbo uses Savage extractors...

These Savage extractors are designed for a right port action that also is clip fed...

So the primary extractor claw is undercut at the bottom then comes to a sharp point at the top of the claw.

Which is fine on a right port action.....

There's two issues here:

1...When this extractor is used for a left port action the primary extractor is turned up-side-down...since it's moved to the opposite side of the breech bolt...

This puts the sharp point of the claw at the bottom of the left hand extractor cut in the breech face of the barrel...

2....All Turbo extractor cuts, and the 10-X clone, are on the center line of the breech bolt..

But......

On a few of the Baity 6 ignition conversions the extractors are located a few thousandths below the center line of the breech bolt nose...

Which places the point of the claw lower on the arc of the case rim and may cause extraction issues...

Therefore................

If you happen to have one of the Baity 6 ignition conversions with the extractors slightly below the center line of the breech bolt nose, and are having extraction issues...

There's a good chance that the extractors are fine, but the primary extractor cut in the breech face of the barrel needs to be modified...

The primary Savage extractor is well heat treated and should pull 100,000 rounds without noticeable wear...

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

This is a picture of the Savage extractors on my Baity 6 ignition 40-X conversion......but are being used correctly since the XP is a right port action...

40-X 6 ignition 1 - Copy.JPG

Pictures......

Pictures......

This first picture is of a new primary Savage extractor...

You can see how the claw is tapered to a point.....this to facilitate feeding from the clip of a right port action.

DSC01734.JPG

This picture is more of a side profile......

DSC01738.JPG

Remember, when you use this primary Savage extractor in a left port action, it's turned up-side-down...

Which makes cutting extractor slots in the breech face of the barrel somewhat challenging, especially if you have one of the Baity 6 ignition Turbo conversions where the extractors sit slightly below the center line of the breech bolt nose.

On the plus side.......the primary Savage extractor is well heat treated and should pull thousands of rounds without much wear.....

As a matter of fact I'd bet it would pull a million rounds......

But for a Class A RFBR contraption it's not a good design....

By the way, I've never seen a 10-X action, which uses the Savage extractors, with the extractors below the center line of the breech bolt nose...

Only a few Baity 6 ignition conversion for the E-Turbo have this issue...

Now.............................

The hands down, 100% best extractors ever put in a rimfire action are 40-X extractors...

IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE.....

DSC01744.jpg

Man I wish Anthony DiOrio could find time to change to these extractors.....

I've got to stop....

It's thunder storming as I type this, so I've got some things I must do...

I'll explain why the 40-X extractors are the absolute best ever made for a rimfire action, later...

I mean, it ain't even close...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

The absolute best extractors ever...

The absolute best extractors ever...

The absolute best rimfire extractors ever are 40-X extractors......

I mean, it isn't even close....

"But Calfee you can't be serious, I mean, that flimsy little thing, you're kidding".

DSC01744.jpg

That "flimsy little thing", along with the coil spring and plunger with the teat that goes inside the coil spring, is the absolute finest rimfire extractor ever produced by the hand of man....

I mean, it isn't even close....

CYA accuracy fool friends, there's so many subjects I want to cover in my quest to advance rimfire accuracy..

Extractors is just one of many....

But...................................................

Is there a way to actually improve MD-PAS ignition? (which is the tallest of tall orders)

I'll tell you this much:

I'm working on a spearment with Jeff Patterson.......

And this spearment parallels why the teat on the plunger that goes inside the 40-X extractor spring, is one thing that makes the 40-X extractors the finest rimfire extractors ever conceived by the hand of man.

So think about why this could be...OK.....

Your pistol fool friend, BC

PS:

The tallest order in all of advancing rimfire accuracy is trying to improve MD-PAS ignition...

Which is probably impossible.....

But................

Could Jeff and I be on to something?.........probably not....

Back
Top Bottom