View Poll Results: Should I post the pictures of the Turbo to Hall conversion?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, do not post them

0 0%
  • Yes, please post them

7 100.00%

Thread: Should I post the pictures of the Turbo to Hall pieces?

Should I post the pictures of the Turbo to Hall pieces?

Should I post the pictures of the Turbo to Hall pieces?

CYA accuracy fool friends:

You CYA folks make the decision...

Should I post the pictures of the Turbo to Hall, MD-PAS to SAP ignition pieces?

Your name will not be posted if you vote.....

Let's run the poll till this Friday...

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

CYA accuracy fool friends......

CYA accuracy fool friends......

The poll is looking like I'll be posting the pictures......although I'll wait till Friday to be sure...

404Tbang left a call on my answering machine suggesting I go ahead and convert an E Turbo, run several of my 10 round case head penetration tests, then re-install the MD-PAS components and re-test....

He suggests this way I'd have a direct apples to apples comparison........

Back when I was younger I might have done it......even though I pretty much know what the outcome would be.

In this case, this conversion is so complicated that I'd bet a ten dollar bill that it wouldn't produce 10 round case head penetration tests as good as a factory Hall action.....matter of fact I know it wouldn't..

The more I fool with these pieces, the more astonished I am at the time and engineering that went into them...

There's more engineering in this conversion than what it probably took to produce the factory Hall action originally..

Plus, it's mind blowing that someone would go to this much trouble.....

I mean, the pieces are brilliantly executed.......and so complicated.....

No matter how hard I try to explain this conversion, and no matter how many pictures I post, I doubt I'll be able to convey the complexity of this conversion, properly, to you CYA folks....

By the way, the E Turbo breech bolt body in the bag of parts that Richard sent me, can not be part of the conversion.

But...............

I believe I've figured out how the conversion is adapted to an E Turbo bolt body....

And it's mind blowing the complexity of it......

You see.................

The pusher retaining pin passes through the firing pin, in the conversion...

In the factory Hall action the pusher and retaining pin sit in back of the firing pin in the breech bolt body...

And here's the most complex part:

The pusher retaining pin winds up located under the locking lug collar.....

So there's no way to install or remove it, now get this; without having an access hole passing through the rear section of the locking lug collar......

Which means, that every time the bolt handle is lifted, the pusher retaining pin will be exposed to the access hole in the locking lug collar....

Although it can't come out, since it's under the pressure exerted on it by the main spring....

One more comment:

No matter how much I try to explain the complexity of this conversion, it's actually more complex than that...

It is so complex, requiring such an unbelievable amount of engineering, that the overriding question has to be:

Why?

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Name:  P1000193 - Copy.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  272.9 KB

The poll is over....

The poll is over....

The poll is over.....

So tomorrow, hopefully, I'll start discussing the Turbo to Hall ignition conversion...

PS:

The first thing I'm going to do is detail, exactly, what a "pusher" is...

Name:  DSC01758.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  345.9 KB

Name:  DSC01761.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  321.0 KB

The pusher....

The pusher....

When you have a firing pin arrangement where the mainspring is trapped between the cocking piece and the pinned keeper on the front end of the pin, there has to be a "pusher" of some sort to restrain the end trapped by the cocking piece.

Name:  DSC01758.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  345.9 KB

Actions that use a pusher are the 54 Anschutz, early and late, the Suhl and of course the Hall...and maybe others..

All of these actions have some method of securing the pusher to the breech bolt body...

The legs of the pusher bear against the rear of the mainspring, and since the pusher is secured to the breech bolt body, this allows the mainspring to be compressed when the action is cocked, then allows it to propel the firing pin forward when the trigger is pulled...

Name:  DSC01761.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  321.0 KB

What's mind blowing about this Turbo to SAP conversion, is the pusher retaining pin has to pass through the body of the firing pin, with each end of the retaining pin securing the pusher to the body of the breech bolt...........

So the slot in the cocking piece end of the firing pin has to provide room for the retaining pin, and, enough room for the firing pin travel.....without the rear end of the slot contacting the retaining pin while producing ignition....which would kill accuracy just like when the firing pin hits its mechanical stop during ignition....

Name:  P1000193 - Copy.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  272.9 KB

Something to ponder:

Can you imagine how much time was required to calculate all of these dimensions?

And then physically execute all of these parts...with absolutely no room for error?

And that isn't the half of it.....

The pusher retaining pin winds up under the locking lug collar.....

Name:  DSC01749 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  92.7 KB

Now the next question:

How is this thing taken apart? And reassembled?

I'll work on that next time...