Jr. is a bad dude! TKH

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Jr. is a bad dude!
TKH

CYA accuracy fool friends:

The IR-50 Outdoor Sporta, 3-Gun and Unlimited Nationals are going on as I type this, at Kettlefoot.

I received a picture by E-Mail early today, with this caption:

Jr. is a bad dude!
TKH

The picture........

Sporta nationals 2021.jpg

CYA accuracy fool friends, I have not talked to Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper, but, I assume from the picture and his caption that he's the 2021 IR-50 Outdoor Sporta Nationals Champion..

Actually, it looks like TKH left no meat on the bone, period.....also winning not only the Championship but the Yards and Meters Championships as well.

By the way.............

CYA accuracy fool friends, here's a picture of TD-Junior exactly 10 years ago also winning the Nationals...

DSC04619 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Maybe some things do last forever....

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Jr. is a bad dude!
TKH

The IR-50 Outdoor Sporta, 3-Gun and Unlimited Nationals are going on as I type this, at Kettlefoot.

I received a picture by E-Mail early today, with this caption:

Jr. is a bad dude!
TKH

The picture........

View attachment 3747

CYA accuracy fool friends, I have not talked to Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper, but, I assume from the picture and his caption that he's the 2021 IR-50 Outdoor Sporta Nationals Champion..

Actually, it looks like TKH left no meat on the bone, period.....also winning not only the Championship but the Yards and Meters Championships as well.

By the way.............

CYA accuracy fool friends, here's a picture of TD-Junior exactly 10 years ago also winning the Nationals...

View attachment 3748

Maybe some things do last forever....

Howdy Bill,

If your impression is right, and TKH left no meat on the bone.....WOW!

Like a G.O.A.T. !

Congrats TKH!

Take care,

Greg

It's official.....

It's official.....

Friend Tony "TD JUNIOR" Harper:

Congratulations on your 2021, IR-50 Outdoor Sporter Nationals Championship.

In winning the Championship, you also won both the Yards and Meters Championships as well.

Sporter

Congratulations to Tony Harper!
That is quite an accomplishment with several excellent Sporter shooters in attendance.

Can you tell me what scope you are using on your Sporter? I have a 4-14 Leupold 30mm with side focus with really fine cross hairs. They are a little hard to see.
I have tried a 6.5-20 Leupold EFR with a dot which I can see but it seems a little big.
Thanks
Jerry Halcomb

The one thing IR-50 has to offer is the Sporta class

It's official.....

Friend Tony "TD JUNIOR" Harper:

Congratulations on your 2021, IR-50 Outdoor Sporter Nationals Championship.

In winning the Championship, you also won both the Yards and Meters Championships as well.

The one thing IR-50 has to offer Big Time RFBR is the Sporta class.....

Tony Harper has won every discipline there is in RFBR shooting, some several times over.....like the PSL for instance, and no telling how many ARA St Louis National wins and ARA Indoor Nationals wins....

But....................

I guarantee that Tony will tell you that his most beloved RFBR shooting discipline is IR-50 Sporta...

IR-50 Sporta is the most sophisticated discipline in all of Big Time RFBR....

And full-on, Class A IR-50 Sportas are the most technically refined RFBR guns in the world.

There is no adjustment to the muzzle device of an IR-50 Sporta.....

(Which by the way makes a mockery out of the compensation nonsense, and, the "tuner twisters")

All of this sophistication is why TKH ranks IR-50 Sporta shooting above all other RFBR disciplines...

And like I've said, he's won all disciplines multiple times over.....

It's a shame that ARA didn't simply adopt the IR-50 rules regarding the Sporta rifles, then simply produced a target with a broad aiming band, like the IR-50 target......same scoring, nothing would change but the ability to see the ARA bull with a 6 power scope...

If ARA would have done this, ARA Sporta would be thriving......big time......

And ARA shooters would have a whole new and exciting challenge.........

Another thing, if ARA would have done this, I guarantee that IR-50 would be forced to adopt 275 scoring.......because the attendance at ARA Sporta matches would out number IR-50 Sporta matches 5 to 1......

But now there's nothing........which is a shame.......oh what could have been...

Congratulations again Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper on your 2021 IR-50 Outdoor Sporta National Championship.

PS:

By the way.....I don't see well enough to be able to use a 6 power scope for the Sporta class...

But..............

Because I couldn't compete in IR-50 Sporta, should never stop the folks who can see from enjoying the greatest discipline in all of big Time RFBR....

Yes TKH, Junior is a bad dude....

The one thing IR-50 has to offer Big Time RFBR is the Sporta class.....

Tony Harper has won every discipline there is in RFBR shooting, some several times over.....like the PSL for instance, and no telling how many ARA St Louis National wins and ARA Indoor Nationals wins....

But....................

I guarantee that Tony will tell you that his most beloved RFBR shooting discipline is IR-50 Sporta...

IR-50 Sporta is the most sophisticated discipline in all of Big Time RFBR....

And full-on, Class A IR-50 Sportas are the most technically refined RFBR guns in the world.

There is no adjustment to the muzzle device of an IR-50 Sporta.....

(Which by the way makes a mockery out of the compensation nonsense, and, the "tuner twisters")

All of this sophistication is why TKH ranks IR-50 Sporta shooting above all other RFBR disciplines...

And like I've said, he's won all disciplines multiple times over.....

It's a shame that ARA didn't simply adopt the IR-50 rules regarding the Sporta rifles, then simply produced a target with a broad aiming band, like the IR-50 target......same scoring, nothing would change but the ability to see the ARA bull with a 6 power scope...

If ARA would have done this, ARA Sporta would be thriving......big time......

And ARA shooters would have a whole new and exciting challenge.........

Another thing, if ARA would have done this, I guarantee that IR-50 would be forced to adopt 275 scoring.......because the attendance at ARA Sporta matches would out number IR-50 Sporta matches 5 to 1......

But now there's nothing........which is a shame.......oh what could have been...

Congratulations again Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper on your 2021 IR-50 Outdoor Sporta National Championship.

PS:

By the way.....I don't see well enough to be able to use a 6 power scope for the Sporta class...

But..............

Because I couldn't compete in IR-50 Sporta, should never stop the folks who can see from enjoying the greatest discipline in all of big Time RFBR....

Yes TKH, Junior is a bad dude....

View attachment 3754

Bill, Thank you for your kind words. I don't know that I deserve them but they are nice to hear.

The truth is there have been and still are some great IR 50/50 Sporter shooters. Remember Greg Davis, Jim Pepper, Mel Eck, JD Hepler. All these guys could work magic with a sporter.

Today we still have absolute killer sporter shooters. Bruce Hornstein is as tough as there is.

There has been a running battle between he and I for the last several years. I edge him out sometimes but just as often, he does the same to me.

These competitions are won by the smallest of margins. Bruce wants to win, he puts in the work to win, and you have to respect that. But he isn't the only one with that drive and determination.

Tony and Sharon Picarelli, Barry Harris, Harvey Reese, Jason Frymier, Keith Royal, Leonard Worthy, Jan Messer, Daniel Smith, Steve Pennington, Ken Mix, JD Pflager, and Gene Stroyan. (No particular order.)

All showed up at that Nationals knowing what the competition was going to be like, and they all showed up with a burning desire to win.

:Note of interest. Gene Stroyan is 80 years old and shot a 250 15X card at the Nationals. Kinda makes you think about the "I can't see through a 6.5 X scope", thing doesn't it.

All of these guys and gals want to win and are hard to beat on any day.

Competition is a funny thing . It drives some to higher performances but pushes others away.

The Sporter class offers many excuses not to compete.

First it is a 7.5 lb. rifle, including scope. The scope can't be more than 6.5X. Stock has to be made of wood with a forearm not more than 2.25 inches and it can not have a flat forearm.

It has to be shot off a two piece sand bag rest. No return to battery free recoil shooting here.

That makes the sporter class the most challenging of all the RFBR classes.

IR 50/50 also offers a 10-shot Sporter class which is for pure accuracy with the most challenging rifle, not for the weak of heart, but great for those that want an extreme challenge.

In todays world not many choose the most difficult path. But for those that do there is no greater reward than winning a USA Sporter Nationals.

Jerry, I use a Leupold 4.5X 14 30mm scope. I couldn't see those fine cross hairs either. I sent mine back to the Leupold custom shop and had them install the same dot that is their Competition series scopes.

Thanks again for the kind words.

TKH

Last edited:
Friend Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper

Bill, Thank you for your kind words. I don't know that I deserve them but they are nice to hear.

The truth is there have been and still are some great IR 50/50 Sporter shooters. Remember Greg Davis, Jim Pepper, Mel Eck, JD Hepler. All these guys could work magic with a sporter.

Today we still have absolute killer sporter shooters. Bruce Hornstein is as tough as there is.

There has been a running battle between he and I for the last several years. I edge him out sometimes but just as often, he does the same to me.

These competitions are won by the smallest of margins. Bruce wants to win, he puts in the work to win, and you have to respect that. But he isn't the only one with that drive and determination.

Tony and Sharon Picarelli, Barry Harris, Harvey Reese, Jason Frymier, Keith Royal, Leonard Worthy, Jan Messer, Daniel Smith, Steve Pennington, Ken Mix, JD Pflager, and Gene Stroyan. (No particular order.)

All showed up at that Nationals knowing what the competition was going to be like, and they all showed up with a burning desire to win.

:Note of interest. Gene Stroyan is 80 years old and shot a 250 15X card at the Nationals. Kinda makes you think about the "I can't see through a 6.5 X scope", thing doesn't it.

All of these guys and gals want to win and are hard to beat on any day.

Competition is a funny thing . It drives some to higher performances but pushes others away.

The Sporter class offers many excuses not to compete.

First it is a 7.5 lb. rifle, including scope. The scope can't be more than 6.5X. Stock has to be made of wood with a forearm not more than 2.25 inches and it can not have a flat forearm.

It has to be shot off a two piece sand bag rest. No return to battery free recoil shooting here.

That makes the sporter class the most challenging of all the RFBR classes.

IR 50/50 also offers a 10-shot Sporter class which is for pure accuracy with the most challenging rifle, not for the weak of heart, but great for those that want an extreme challenge.

In todays world not many choose the most difficult path. But for those that do there is no greater reward than winning a USA Sporter Nationals.

Jerry, I use a Leupold 4.5X 14 30mm scope. I couldn't see those fine cross hairs either. I sent mine back to the Leupold custom shop and had them install the same dot that is their Competition series scopes.

Thanks again for the kind words.

TKH

Friend Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper:

Tony, your comments in bold orange:

Tony, you're a diplomat..............a very kind and generous diplomat.....

But................

You're the greatest IR-50 Sporta shooter of all time........including Harry Deneen....and that's saying a bunch.

And TD-JUNIOR is the most accurate IR-50 Sporta of all time.....

You and Junior are in a class all to yourselves......

Your pistol fool friend. BC

Tony Harper - Copy.JPG

Friend Tony "TD-JUNIOR" Harper:

Tony, your comments in bold orange:

Tony, you're a diplomat..............a very kind and generous diplomat.....

But................

You're the greatest IR-50 Sporta shooter of all time........including Harry Deneen....and that's saying a bunch.

And TD-JUNIOR is the most accurate IR-50 Sporta of all time.....

You and Junior are in a class all to yourselves......

Your pistol fool friend. BC

View attachment 3759

View attachment 3760

Bill, I just realized I left Harry Deneen off my list of sporter shooters. Man I must be getting old. How could someone make a list of sporter shooters and not include Harry?

Hope he and all of his followers will forgive me.

About TD Junior. That little rifle has been special since the day you built it. I've said it before that rifle has a personality. If you treat him right he will do things you wouldn't think possible.

Forgiving is the best way to describe Jr. He covers for me so many times.

I agree, the day Jr. shot 107Xs was a special day in the history of sporter shooting. It may be awhile before its done again. Last year at the 10-shot Sporter Nationals when Jr. agged. 100 points over five targets was just as special.

I've owned some really great rifles the original "Tack Driver" and "Tack Driver Experimental" (TDX) but TD Junior has given me the greatest thrills of my shooting career.

I can't thank you enough for creating these rifles. They may not be SPEC rifles, but they have proven their mettle.

TKH

Last edited:
Friend TKH

Bill, I just realized I left Harry Deneen off my list of sporter shooters. Man I must be getting old. How could someone make a list of sporter shooters and not include Harry?

Hope he and all of his followers will forgive me.

About TD Junior. That little rifle has been special since the day you built it. I've said it before that rifle has a personality. If you treat him right he will do things you wouldn't think possible.

Forgiving is the best way to describe Jr. He covers for me so many times.

I agree, the day Jr. shot 107Xs was a special day in the history of sporter shooting. It may be awhile before its done again. Last year at the 10-shot Sporter Nationals when Jr. agged. 100 points over five targets was just as special.

I've owned some really great rifles the original "Tack Driver" and "Tack Driver Experimental" (TDX) but TD Junior has given me the greatest thrills of my shooting career.

I can't thank you enough for creating these rifles. They may not be SPEC rifles, but they have proven their mettle.

TKH

Friend TKH:

Your comment in bold orange about Harry Deneen.

Tony, Harry, like you, is a RFBR Icon......

The main difference between you and Harry, is, that you shoot all disciplines......Harry completely dominated IR-50, but didn't get into ARA until late in his career.......although he did win the St Louis ARA National near the end of his career.......with his old Lilja barreled Suhl....

TDX, if there were a category for the "Best SAP Ignition RFBR Shooter Of All Time", it would be Harry, hands down....

Although near the end of his career I did build Harry a Turbo, and he killed it with it, too.......

This is Harry's "Green Gun" Turbo...

Green Turbo.jpg

But he did the majority of his killer work with SAP ignition guns, Suhls and 54 Anschutz's....

By the way, Harry still holds several IR-50 World Records....after all these years...

Now TDX:

On another thread I suggested you mount a high power scope on TD-Junior and shoot the ARA Indoor Nationals...

Well, Harry did something similar back in 2003......but......he used his 6 power scope....not a high powered scope....

Harry sent me the winning trophy and added the inscription at the bottom....

DSC01835.jpg

A 743 x 45X, outdoors in conditions, with his 6 power scoped IR-50 sporta.......

It was bad enough him beating the big guns with his sporta, but with a 6 power scope, to boot...

This is mind blowing....and this was 18 years ago.....

Back
Top Bottom