FF Whisper trigger....

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
FF Whisper trigger...

CYA accuracy fool friends:

I try my best to learn something new every day that I live......

I learned something new last evening shooting PAT 1....

Patterson SPEC P-1 uses one of the new FF Whisper triggers...

I'm not endorsing this new trigger......I've only shot it one time....last evening...

But.....................

In my opinion, if you don't want to be shelling out the money for one, do not ever shoot a RFBR rifle that uses one......I'm serious...

The transfer bar of this trigger has almost zero upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, when fired....I mean almost zero...

This blew my mind......it's as close to having a manually re-set trigger as one can get.....which has no upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, when fired.

And what's amazing, when you place your finger on the trigger shoe, you can feel it just fine.....it's not like you're afraid to touch it for fear of an accidental discharge......not at all....

So I'd place my finger on the trigger shoe, then when in my mind I was ready to fire, the gun simply discharged......

Again, I'm not advocating for this trigger......cause I've just shot it one time...

But......

It's unlike any trigger I've ever shot......it's so amazing that if I were starting a new build today, I'd have to have one....

I mean, the lack of upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece would be enough, just by itself.....

I did learn something new last evening, it was a good day...

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

DSC01840.jpg

CYA accuracy fool friends

FF Whisper trigger...

I try my best to learn something new every day that I live......

I learned something new last evening shooting PAT 1....

Patterson SPEC P-1 uses one of the new FF Whisper triggers...

I'm not endorsing this new trigger......I've only shot it one time....last evening...

But.....................

In my opinion, if you don't want to be shelling out the money for one, do not ever shoot a RFBR rifle that uses one......I'm serious...

The transfer bar of this trigger has almost zero upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, when fired....I mean almost zero...

This blew my mind......it's as close to having a manually re-set trigger as one can get.....which has no upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, when fired.

And what's amazing, when you place your finger on the trigger shoe, you can feel it just fine.....it's not like you're afraid to touch it for fear of an accidental discharge......not at all....

So I'd place my finger on the trigger shoe, then when in my mind I was ready to fire, the gun simply discharged......

Again, I'm not advocating for this trigger......cause I've just shot it one time...

But......

It's unlike any trigger I've ever shot......it's so amazing that if I were starting a new build today, I'd have to have one....

I mean, the lack of upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece would be enough, just by itself.....

I did learn something new last evening, it was a good day...

View attachment 3807

I want to put everything I've said above about the Whisper trigger on hold for the time being....

I got to thinking about something that Jeff told me had happened after I left the range after shooting PAT 1 last evening.

After I talk to Jeff, and maybe even figure someway to get to try the Whisper trigger again, I'll explain.....OK...

So keep what I said about the Whisper trigger on hold for awhile........

Curiosity killed the cat

Very curious to your and JPats findings on the FF whisper 2.0 as this is the trigger that will be on my new Patterson built Turbo. Jeff actually already has my trigger in hand, just waiting on the stock.

Friend zs9528

Very curious to your and JPats findings on the FF whisper 2.0 as this is the trigger that will be on my new Patterson built Turbo. Jeff actually already has my trigger in hand, just waiting on the stock.

Friend zs9528:

I'm actually just as curious as you and everyone else....

I know absolutely nothing about the Whisper trigger....

I do know this; if what I saw when I examined and then shot this trigger is really what it's capable of, every other trigger is obsolete...

Especially the lack of upward pressure by the transfer bar on the bottom of the cocking piece, when discharged.....

But.............

I don't know these things to be a fact, yet....

Being as brief as possible:

I had the barrelled action of PAT 1 clamped in my padded vise examining things...

I noticed the trigger shoe was flopping fore and aft.....but I had just tried to make it slap fire, since the pull was so unbelievably light...and I could not make it slap fire.....

So I figured the loose trigger shoe was normal....

Then I shot the rifle at the range, with Jeff.....and it worked flawlessly........( the things I was so cited about in my initial post...)

I then left the range and Jeff continued to test and make his video.....

While Jeff was shooting, a small spring fell out of the trigger guard opening......Jeff felt it hit the back of his hand...

So he stopped shooting and inspected the trigger, and there was a small set screw hanging by one thread....so he removed it...

This small spring and set screw are the trigger tension spring and adjustment.....I guess....

Here's the completely confusing part:

With this spring and set screw about to fall off of the trigger, the trigger still worked flawlessly.....

OK, here's where we're at:

Jeff's been terribly busy.....his heating and air business........

So I've not had the chance to evaluate the trigger with the tension spring and adjustment screw reattached......

Therefore, I don't know if the unbelievable lack of upward pressure by the transfer bar on the bottom of the cocking piece is true, or was it the result of the spring and adjustment screw being out of kilter....

And, did this spring being out of kilter cause the unbelievable lightness of the trigger.....a comfortable lightness like I've never felt before.

Friend zs9528, when the tension spring is properly adjusted, if what I witnessed is actually true.............

All other triggers will be obsolete......( if for no other reason the lack of upward pressure factor.....forget the unbelievable lightness of pull...)

So I don't know "what is actually what", at the moment.......

Jeff said he may be free from his HVAC work in a couple days, then we'll get together and see "what is really what"...

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Whisper trigger update...

I can see why this Whisper trigger still worked with the trigger shoe flopping, when the spring and set screw, Jeff talked about, were about to fall out of the trigger.....

Jeff took this picture after he removed the side plate..

Whisper trigger - Copy.jpg

And now I see why the upward pressure of the transfer bar on the bottom of the cocking piece, when discharged, is so unbelievably light..

( Notice the number of coils in the tension spring, and how close they're spaced together, meaning very little tension, but the transfer bar is fully raised.......amazing)

(Also notice the fulcrum point at which the transfer bar contacts the third lever, or vice versa)

CYA accuracy fool friends, very clever.......

Forget the lightness of pull which is unbelievable.....the lack of upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, with this trigger, just made all other triggers obsolete.....

This Whisper trigger just removed another crumb from the rimfire accuracy advancement table........

It is so outstanding, that Jeff has already got in five more so his first six SPEC rifles can have them....

PS:

Here's the original FF trigger.....notice how much larger the reset tension spring is, and how many fewer coils than the Whisper...

FF trigger (2) - Copy.jpg

Also, notice that the tension spring of the Whisper is captured on both ends, unlike the original FF trigger where the tension spring was simply draped over two naked pins incorporated into the housing and third lever...

There's no doubt but that FF follows CYA.....

These two areas are what we modified on Big Dog's FF triggers......we added about 8 coils and re-configured the ends of the spring to keep it from possibly jumping over the two naked retaining pins built into the housing and third lever.....this was a bad idea, and the Whisper corrects it.....

The modification we made to Big Dog's triggers did not cause him to set the ARA Indoor Nationals Record, alone, or course...

But, they most certainly didn't hurt........just another crumb off the rimfire accuracy advancement table....

Although, the upward pressure on Big Dog's modified FF is still way heavier than this Whisper trigger....it's blow you mind amazing.

Italy

I’ve been a fan of Italian products since I purchase a Perrazi shotgun in the 70’s.
Two other products from Italy I have are Flavio triggers and a Lenzi shooting rest. They are both without peer.

Flavio is also one of the nicest and also smartest people I know, which makes buying his triggers even nicer.

I believe I can Big Dog's FF triggers even better....

When we modified Big Dog's FF's, I wanted to make absolutely sure the tension return spring would reset the trigger 100% of the time...

I added about 8 coils to the re-set spring...I was scared to add more...

But..............

After looking at the Whisper trigger, I believe I could add two or three more coils to the tension spring, and arrive at an upward pressure factor on the bottom of the cocking piece similar to the Whisper....

If you look closely, there's really not much difference between the original FF and the Whisper....

PS:

Some clever individual needs to provide a longer tension spring for the original FF triggers.....that will make them as upward pressure friendly as the Whisper...

Back
Top Bottom