Thread: Button rifling course from Paul?

Button rifling course from Paul?

Friend Paul! I think you have forgotten more of barrel making processes than others of this forum knows or has learned!

If you find time tell something about button rifling process I and maybe also other readers are very intrested.

You dont need to tell yours & Dans business secrets,but if you can lighten to us common "pitfalls" what we can wait in the beginning.

We here are not threat to barrel making world-.

Heat treatment before & after along the process is VERY intresting part also.

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Friend Paul! I think you have forgotten more of barrel making processes than others of this forum knows or has learned!

If you find time tell something about button rifling process I and maybe also other readers are very intrested.

You dont need to tell yours & Dans business secrets,but if you can lighten to us common "pitfalls" what we can wait in the beginning.

We here are not threat to barrel making world-.

Heat treatment before & after along the process is VERY intresting part also.

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo:

I can't speak for Paul Tolvstad...

But............

I don't believe Paul can tell you anything more than he has already about the button rifling process without giving away his and Dan's secrets...

Friend gun fool Timo,

I've got blanks from Muller, Shilen, Broughton and Douglas that are absolutely, as buttoned perfect, from end to end of the blanks.

How to button rifle a barrel to produce a perfect, as buttoned blank, is pretty common knowledge......today..

As a matter of fact, no one produces better, as buttoned blanks, than Douglas Barrels....

The "secret" to producing "killer" button rifled blanks is in the ART of taper lapping.....

It's that simple..........

Therefore..........

I suggest the first thing you Finlandia folks do, is to learn the ART of taper lapping........I'm most serious...

Because if you Finlandia folks produced the finest, as buttoned blanks in the world, without artists doing the taper lapping, you wouldn't produce killer guns...

Your pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Brings tears to my eyes it's so beautiful.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WPmSv-TBy0

We have read everything what we find our hands of button rifling.Lapping skills has gone better,but not killer level yet.

If Paul see this I have guestion of button rifling lubricants.

We are thinking to test HBN because of its very high pressure needs.

https://lowerfriction.com/dry-solid-...QaAhFIEALw_wcB

Thoughts about this?

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    We have read everything what we find our hands of button rifling.Lapping skills has gone better,but not killer level yet.

If Paul see this I have guestion of button rifling lubricants.

We are thinking to test HBN because of its very high pressure needs.

https://lowerfriction.com/dry-solid-...QaAhFIEALw_wcB

Thoughts about this?

BR, Timo

Friend gun fool Timo:

Most button rifled barrel makers coat the bore with copper before pulling/pushing the button.

Muller Barrels does not do this.......they use a "secret" lubrication....so I doubt Paul will respond.....

Friend gun fool Timo:

In my opinion, the best thing you folks can do is to master the taper lapping process.......

Douglas Barrels will sell you all the un-lapped blanks you would need to practice on.......

And by the way, Douglas produces the absolute finest "as buttoned" blanks in the World, and the last time I knew, they copper plate their bores before buttoning...

One other thing......you folks need to acquire some Douglas blanks, stainless.......16 twist........get their 4 groove.....

You'll discover, when you properly taper lap one of the Douglas 4 groove blanks, and fit it to a quality contraption, that you'll have the pride of seeing how double bad they will shoot.....

Mastering the ART of taper lapping is job Number 1........

Because......even if you made the finest button rifled blanks in the World, but could not properly taper lap them, you'd have nothing.

Your pistol fool friend, BC

Name:  DSC00115 (2).jpg
Views: 136
Size:  134.8 KB

My MD-PAS pistol uses a 4 groove Douglas that I taper lapped.....and it is stout......Timo, I wish you could sit down behind this thing just one time.......you'd forget about shooting rifles......I know I did, 30 years ago.....and I ain't never looked back...